Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Oil Change

I did my first oil change on my 2.0 today at 675 miles.

-Mobile 1 (As I always do, all cars).

-The process is super simple. I do feel a little apprehensive about the oil filter being down there at the bottom of the engine. I’d hate to think of a stone or other sharp object coming up and puncturing the filter causing quick oil loss. Any horror stories?

-I checked the oil level at 388 miles; it was at the full mark. After letting it completely drain for over 20 minutes today both from the drain plug in the oil filter housing, only 4 quarts came out. The capacity is 5 quarts. I did follow the owners manual break in instructions. Any cause for concern here or is this just normal oil loss during engine braking?

2. Turbo gauge

Are there any hidden menus or ways to determine what the turbo is putting out? I’m not interested in adding a physical turbo gauge. I do have an OBD II port Wi-Fi connector along with an app to read it. I question it’s accuracy. What do all of you use?

3. CarPlay

Holy crap! I upgraded my iPhone software to iOS 13.1. Integration into the UCONNECT System is seamless and works extremely well! I couldn’t be more pleased.

I am looking for thoughts or feedback on any of these topics.

What a great truck!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Mobil1 is not an approved oil crazy as that sounds. Your filter holds some of the oil and not of it drains so yea pretty normal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mobil1 is not an approved oil crazy as that sounds. Your filter holds some of the oil and not of it drains so yea pretty normal.
From the owners manual:

"We recommend you use Mopar API SN PLUS Certified SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-13340. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 5W-30 engine oil can be used if it meets API SN PLUS Certification. If SN PLUS or equivalent oil is unavailable then please contact your local dealership for recommendation."

M1 meets the SN Plus requirement.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
From the owners manual:

"We recommend you use Mopar API SN PLUS Certified SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-13340. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 5W-30 engine oil can be used if it meets API SN PLUS Certification. If SN PLUS or equivalent oil is unavailable then please contact your local dealership for recommendation."

M1 meets the SN Plus requirement.
that is good they now say that. I for the life of me do not why Mobil1 and Chrysler won't make up and allow mobil1 to meet ms-6395

·
Registered
230 Posts
Why did you dump perfectly good oil at 675 miles???

Go jeep!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Gotcha!

However I can't believe even FCA is going to use bum oil in their soon to be your JL that will be under it's 3 year warranty! Just sayin', cheap insurance as you say I guess?

Go Jeep!!!

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Maybe, but they sure used crap in their JK MT and didn’t even add enough in many cases. I dumped all the fluids pretty early on, including the duffy.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
it is never a 100% capacity drain on any engine, half a quart maybe more will remain inside.
This is why you never dump back in the whole qty (whatever is in the OM).
In mine in stead of prescribed 6 qts I fill in 5 and then go by the dipstick adding small quantities until reach desired level.
In a GDI motor you dont want any oil overfill, not even a little, excess will be sucked through PCV system and cake your intake valves fast.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gotcha!

However I can't believe even FCA is going to use bum oil in their soon to be your JL that will be under it's 3 year warranty! Just sayin', cheap insurance as you say I guess?

Go Jeep!!!
I am sure you are correct. Quite honestly, it’s 90% me wanting to know exactly what oil is in my jeep and 10% me wanting to get my hands on it!:happyyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried to get a oil change on my 2018 JL at a major oil drive threw. They told me that they don't have the oil filter so I went to wall mart same thing??? So now I have to go to the dealer for a oil change, well the dealer told me that I have the wave program 2 free oil changes for 2 years.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Because it wasn’t “my“ perfectly good oil. For 25 bucks, I want to know what is in my jeep exactly.
I always do the same thing with a new vehicle. 500-600 miles I change oil. I have OOD (obsessive oil disorder). If you ever saw an engine seize or lose a car you would do the same. My sister toasted our beloved 1968 VW Beatle and seized up the engine. I honestly don't think I ever saw my dad that sad again in his life.

You call it waste, I call it peace of mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts