Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2011 JKU Rubicon... I've decided on the Teraflex 2.5" lift with the 9550 shocks... Now I'm trying to look for tires/wheels and have a few questions...

Given that I live in MN and have to contend with a lot of salt, I think alloy wheels might be best for me. I've been looking on DTD and am torn between the Level 8 Strike 5 (17x9 4.02" BS) and the MB Chaos 5 (17x8.5 4.01" BS). (I also liked the G-FX OR9, but it was only available in a 17x8.5 that would have 4.95" of BS, which I think is too much for that lift.)

1) How do these two brands rank? Either one better than the other in terms of quality? How about weight? I'd like to not kill my MPG too badly with this build since probably 80% of my driving will be street.

Then, for tires, I think I've decided on the GY Duratracs. However, I was wanting to go up an inch in size to something between a 33-34" tire.

2) Are the Duratracs not offered in a 295/70 tire? The best I could find was a 285/70 which calculates to a 32.7" height.

The next size up looks to be a 315/70 that would be 34.3" but I'm wondering if the 315 width and weight difference would kill my MPG...

Then, finally... I have a friend with a garage (heated and has a lift) that I can use to do the lift kit install. However, it's a state away... I know I can't run the stock wheels on the lifted jeep, and I'm not sure if I can fit 4 big tires/wheels in the back to drive there... So, what I was thinking was to install the new wheels/tires and drive them on the stock suspension to my friends garage.

3) Will I be able to drive the new wheels/tires on stock suspension on the highway? I don't plan to off-road it on the way there, so not worried about rubbing from articulation. But will I have to worry about rubbing on steering components at full turn?

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
So, I have a 2011 JKU Rubicon... I've decided on the Teraflex 2.5" lift with the 9550 shocks... Now I'm trying to look for tires/wheels and have a few questions...

Given that I live in MN and have to contend with a lot of salt, I think alloy wheels might be best for me. I've been looking on DTD and am torn between the Level 8 Strike 5 (17x9 4.02" BS) and the MB Chaos 5 (17x8.5 4.01" BS). (I also liked the G-FX OR9, but it was only available in a 17x8.5 that would have 4.95" of BS, which I think is too much for that lift.)

Yes, too much. Try to stay 4.5" bs or below.

1) How do these two brands rank? Either one better than the other in terms of quality? How about weight? I'd like to not kill my MPG too badly with this build since probably 80% of my driving will be street.

Lotsa peeps run the MB's, usually MB72's. I haven't heard any complaints. Don't know about the Level 8's.

Then, for tires, I think I've decided on the GY Duratracs. However, I was wanting to go up an inch in size to something between a 33-34" tire.

I've got 35's, which are really 34's. Most tires aren't as big as the sizes given them by mfr. Problem is, the 35" DT's I've got only go as low as a 16" rim. With the DT's, you're stuck with 33's for 15" rims.

2) Are the Duratracs not offered in a 295/70 tire? The best I could find was a 285/70 which calculates to a 32.7" height.

I don't think they make a 295. Could be wrong...

The next size up looks to be a 315/70 that would be 34.3" but I'm wondering if the 315 width and weight difference would kill my MPG...

It will kill your mpg and, worse, your torque and power in higher gears, depending on what gears your '11 has. Unless you wanna spend +/– $1500 to regear your Jeep (and more for a new tire carrier like the OR-FAB, or a tire carrier/bumper combo), forget about 35's.

Then, finally... I have a friend with a garage (heated and has a lift) that I can use to do the lift kit install. However, it's a state away... I know I can't run the stock wheels on the lifted jeep, and I'm not sure if I can fit 4 big tires/wheels in the back to drive there... So, what I was thinking was to install the new wheels/tires and drive them on the stock suspension to my friends garage.

Why not just get wheels/tires shipped to his house?

3) Will I be able to drive the new wheels/tires on stock suspension on the highway? I don't plan to off-road it on the way there, so not worried about rubbing from articulation. But will I have to worry about rubbing on steering components at full turn?

With 33's you'll be fine unless you take it off-road. There MIGHT be some rubbing at full lock, but you can put a washer on the steering stops (temporarily) to mitigate that.

But I'd just have the wheels/tires shipped to your buddy's crib, like I said above.

Thanks for the help,
Ryan
No problem. Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you are contending with Salt & on the roads. I would recommend a Teflon coated wheel. They are a dark Charcoal grey color and Salt / Mag Chloride and other grim washes off very easily. I am running the 17x9 ATX Artillary wheels. There are also other styles of teflon wheels as well that might fit your style.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: I've got Hankooks 33.6" and you, having a JKU, you can carry 5 mounted/balanced tire/wheels in your cargo area--it's got plenty room, all you gotta do is lay the back seats down !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response!

It sounds like you like smaller rims than larger, is there any technical reason? Or is it just a price/weight thing? I was originally looking at the 17" rims and tires, would you recommend 15"s?

As far as torque/power, I am in the 6 speed, 4.10 gears, so from what I've read I think I'd be right on the line where I could run 35s without a regear being mandatory, but like I said, right now I don't think I drive enough off-road to need to go with 35s. But, having the option to run them in the future was a small reason why I wanted the 2.5" lift...

In looking at Goodyear's website, I see a number of options on the DTs:

33x12.5R15 (listed as 32.5 overall diam.)
285/70R17 (listed as 32.8 overall diam.)
275/70R18 (listed as 33.2 overall diam.)

Would the 33x12.5 give me a lot of improvement over the current "32's" (I guess I should go out and actually measure them)?

Ryan

·
Registered
511 Posts
deleted...
I'm in a 2 door so I'm lighter, but I have a 2011 rubi with 4.10's 6 spd and 35's.

I wish I would have gone with 37's. So if your already thinking of 35's you'll probably be disappointed with the 33's.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in a 2 door so I'm lighter, but I have a 2011 rubi with 4.10's 6 spd and 35's.

I wish I would have gone with 37's. So if your already thinking of 35's you'll probably be disappointed with the 33's.
:confused: I just can't decide!!! So much of what I have read has said just stick with 33's... But for every one that says that there's one that says they regret not getting 35's... On the one hand though, it seems the GY DT are really good tires, and I really want to move up in size from my stock rubi tires... Which means I'd only be gaining about 1/2" going to a 33 vs 1 1/2" going with a 35...

Arg!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I want GY DT but the 315 are to wide. Wish they made them in a 285 75 17. I want the 34" but not so wide

Come on GY get with it make more sizes

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
If you want 35s now then you should get them. 33s would work just fine with a 2.5 lift and would look great but you'll always be thinking of the 35s if your thinking of them now. When I went to 33s I didn't think I'd ever want 35s and that's pretty much the same now although I have pondered it. :whistling:

Get it and be done with it. You'll need to look into upgrading other components too if you are going to make the jump to 35s. Having 4.10 and a manual will be bearable but you may choose to upgrade those too in the future.

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
x2 what wolf said. DTD will ask where you want your wheels/tires sent, give them the address of your friend's garage

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want 35s now then you should get them. 33s would work just fine with a 2.5 lift and would look great but you'll always be thinking of the 35s if your thinking of them now. When I went to 33s I didn't think I'd ever want 35s and that's pretty much the same now although I have pondered it. :whistling:

Get it and be done with it. You'll need to look into upgrading other components too if you are going to make the jump to 35s. Having 4.10 and a manual will be bearable but you may choose to upgrade those too in the future.
Those are good points. And, I actually remembered one thing that totally turns me away from 35"s at this point. I don't want to have to trim my ruby rails or pinch seam right now... So that pretty much settles it...

I'm down to these choices:

1) Just swap out my wheels for a set that will work with the lift and wear out my Rubi tires

2) 285/70R17 Duratracs with new 17" wheels

3) 33x12.5R15 Duratracs with new 15" wheels

I was kind of looking into #3, I really like the MB Chaos 5 wheels. However, those wheels are listed as 15x8 with a -19mm offset (3.25" BS). This begs 2 questions... The Tirerack website lists the Duratracs as fitting 8.5 - 11" rims. Will those wheels work with those rims? On my 2.5" lift? And second, with a 12.5" width and only 3.25" of backspacing, they will stick out quite a bit won't they?

Ryan

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Those are good points. And, I actually remembered one thing that totally turns me away from 35"s at this point. I don't want to have to trim my ruby rails or pinch seam right now... So that pretty much settles it...

I'm down to these choices:

1) Just swap out my wheels for a set that will work with the lift and wear out my Rubi tires

2) 285/70R17 Duratracs with new 17" wheels

I was kind of looking into #3, I really like the MB Chaos 5 wheels. However, those wheels are listed as 15x8 with a -19mm offset (3.25" BS). This begs 2 questions... The Tirerack website lists the Duratracs as fitting 8.5 - 11" rims. Will those wheels work with those rims? On my 2.5" lift? And second, with a 12.5" width and only 3.25" of backspacing, they will stick out quite a bit won't they?

Ryan
I would go with #3, if it were me. But that's just how I roll. :D

Those tires will work fine on 8" rims...in fact, the thinner rims will make the tires look "fatter."

And yes, your tires with that bs will stick pretty far out...most states frown on tires that exceed the fender coverage (for the record, mine do as well, but only by about 3/8"). Also, in winter, the part of the tire that sticks out will literally paint your rig white with road salt.

There are no other rims in the 15" size that you like? I'm not big on the MB72's, myself, but I've seen a few recently that I could learn to love. Check out both ESP's and MTH's profiles...

Despite the actual size measurements, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the difference the Duratracs will make, both in looks and performance. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts

Ryan
Also, are you sure there aren't other backspaces available for the MB Chaos 5's?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts