Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I put my soft top down for the day yesterday and last night when I went to put it back on there was no way it would fit! The top was pulled as far forward as it could go and it was as tight as a drum but as hard as I tried the front clips would not make it into the 2 slots so I could clip it in. I was only a centimeter away but it wouldn't stretch that extra bit.

It was hot during the day and cool at night. Could it have shrunk? Do you guys like to put the plastic above door clips in before or after the window clips?? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
What clips are you exactly talking about? The metal ones that you can see on the inside?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Do not connect the sailpanels (rear corners of the softop). First, bring the softop header to the windshield and hook the metal clips into the windshield but do not clamp them down. Then pull down on the rear bow (frame) as necessary to clip the sail panels into the tub.

There are videos and clips on youtube and google on how to do the softop.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Make sure your rear bow is in the right place. Mine wasn't once and I couldn't get mine to work. Follow the previous post and it should work fine

·
Registered
159 Posts
My LJ soft soft has two large straps that run from the rear bow to the 2 1/2 bow i think its called above the roll cage sometimes it gets wrapped around the bow and it's hard to notice when this happens it will not latch to windshield. Check everything carefully and make sure nothing is in a bind anywhere. good luck!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
x2 on all of these. It happens to everyone with a soft top at least once. Ha

·
Registered
441 Posts
if all this dosnt help, connect the front header clamps ... then take a ratchet strap and attach it to the rear most bar ... and crank it down till it is slack enough to connect the corners

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
To add a little comment that goes along with what was said above...

First, never connect/insert the top's rear corners first. Latching the rear corners first virtually guarantees you won't be able to get the front of the top close enough to the windshield to insert the front latch hooks.

Instead, first insert the top's front hooks into the slots in the windshield frame but do not latch them closed yet. The top's front hooks will hold the front of the top near enough the windshield but by not latching them yet, there will be a little slack in the top left that makes it a little easier to insert the top's lower rear corners into the tub.

This is also about the time when I wrap the top's upper door edges around the fiberglass door jamb and install the rear windows, when there is still a little slack left in the top.

Now you can insert the rear corners into the tub rail.

Then and only then can you latch/finish closing the top's front corner hooks. Since the hooks are already in their slots, it will be relatively easy to finish latching them in their fully locked positions.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Do you guys like to put the plastic above door clips in before or after the window clips?? Any other ideas?
Always do those above the door clips as the first and last thing when taking down or putting up the top respectively.

Releasing or engaging the header clamps while the over-the-door clips are in place will bind and tear the top eventually; plus it just makes it harder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Front clamps first.

When putting up my soft top the first thing I do is clamp down the front to the windshield first.

Then I attach the rear of the top.

Then side rear windows.

Then rear window.

Then above the doors

Finally install the door uppers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts