Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

Today i come to you, to ask that if you had a 2013 jk sport (manual), all stock, and 3000 dollars, is it possible to lift it and run 35's all within budget? If so, how would you go about it, what do I need to keep in mind? I have been looking at lift kits, rims, and wheels for so long that i feel like my head is going to explode.:atomic:It will primarily be a daily driver with a few weekend trips, here and there. Love the looks of 35's but from what I understand its practically impossible without regearing and that knocks me out of budget. All your input would be greatly appreciated, thank you again!

·
Registered
333 Posts
It would be hard to do. Rims and tires will cost you the most. But if you have patients you could prolly get used rims and tires or use the factory rims with spacers. And a budget lift kit. As for driving with a manual and that size tires it can be done 6 gear is useless. I have 4dr teraflex 2.5 lift on my 2012 2dr with 35's / manual tranny with the stock 3.21 gears. While it's not ideal I can deal with it I was going to regear but now I have a willys unlimited on order so no regear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you're planning on doing all the work yourself, then I'd say $3000 is a realistic number on the low end. Otherwise you're going to have to add $500-800 just for the lift install and that's going to be tough especially with 35s...

I'm assuming you want 5 tires/wheels. If that's the case are you considering the extra weight added to the tailgate? The OEM mount isn't designed for that much weight. Now you're talking about a rear bumper and that's going to push you out of budget.

I got a 34 in tire which was a little cheaper, little lighter, and I can't tell the difference. I also got the Terraflex hinge (i think it was $500) which replaces hinges on the tailgate and reinforces the door in order to support the weight. That's cheaper than a rear bumper and spare tire mount.

I have a manual and and unlimited and I did not re gear...It's still quick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be hard to do. Rims and tires will cost you the most. But if you have patients you could prolly get used rims and tires or use the factory rims with spacers. And a budget lift kit. As for driving with a manual and that size tires it can be done 6 gear is useless. I have 4dr teraflex 2.5 lift on my 2012 2dr with 35's / manual tranny with the stock 3.21 gears. While it's not ideal I can deal with it I was going to regear but now I have a willys unlimited on order so no regear.
Thanks for the reply I've definitely been looking everywhere for a good deal on wheels and lift, no dice so far. Hopefully a deal will pop up soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you've got 3.21's (Stock JK Sport - if you didn't upgrade when you bought it I'm assuming that's what you've got) you'll probably not enjoy it.

More info in this thread

I've got 3.21's because I didn't know any better. I'm going to get 33s and call it a day.
Thanks for the advice, just checked out that thread lots of great info, 33's are definitely a option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're planning on doing all the work yourself, then I'd say $3000 is a realistic number on the low end. Otherwise you're going to have to add $500-800 just for the lift install and that's going to be tough especially with 35s...
Thats good news to hear, I do plan on doing most the work myself, I have access shop and all the neccessary tools, as well as a good buddy who is a mechanic. He said he would help me with the build I just have to get the material for the project. Ive heard of the tailgate hinge i was looking into those yesterday. Is you jeep geared in 3.21 as well?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just got some 33 Dura tires a month ago and that cost me $1300 just 4 . It will b tight to get all you want and keep under 3 grand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
4 x steel rims with tpms sensors and 35's will set ya back around $2200-2400
I suppose you could just get a cheap spacer lift and do the work yourself but a proper lift will put you over budget

John

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discout tire direct will be your best friend. You can get 5 17" wheels (xd or black rhino) and 5 35" fierce tires shipped for a little over $1900. That gives you a grand left to get a lift and a week of shipping to read up on how to install yourself.

edit: The total from dtd would be $2070 shipped. Thats if you remove all the extras they add except the install kit. Still leaving you with $900 for a decent lift!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The way you do it is run $400 worth of spacers and have 35's mounted to your stock rims. Could even go with Duratracs in 315/70-17 for around $300 a tire and now you are at $1900-1950. Now go with Rancho 3" sport lift RS66106B for $560. Lets see..... we are at $2510, right. $490 left for 4 shocks. Rancho shocks are $70-$100 a shock depending on model. Rancho RS9000XL RS999329 and RS999330 which puts you right at $350.

You have $150 to have the tires mounted to the stock rims.

Now you can save up for regear down the road but would not stop you from upgrading wheels and tires early.

By the way the price quotes were simply what you can find on Discount tire direct and Amazon. All free shipping.

You're welcome.:bop::beerdrinking:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just remember this adage: cheap ain't good and good ain't cheap. A good set of wheels and 35s are going to be 2000-2500 (for 5.) A simple rubicon lift is around $750. Tailgate tire holder.... $125. Then the little things will get you....tpms, possibly different lugnuts. Do you want to upgrade your steering stabilizer? In my humblest of humble opinions....to do it right....with quality pieces....doing the work yourself..... $4000.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The way you do it is run $400 worth of spacers and have 35's mounted to your stock rims. Could even go with Duratracs in 315/70-17 for around $300 a tire and now you are at $1900-1950. Now go with Rancho 3" sport lift RS66106B for $560. Lets see..... we are at $2510, right. $490 left for 4 shocks. Rancho shocks are $70-$100 a shock depending on model. Rancho RS9000XL RS999329 and RS999330 which puts you right at $350.

You have $150 to have the tires mounted to the stock rims.

Now you can save up for regear down the road but would not stop you from upgrading wheels and tires early.

By the way the price quotes were simply what you can find on Discount tire direct and Amazon. All free shipping.

You're welcome.:bop::beerdrinking:
Nice! You have given me a ray of hope, this seems like a pretty viable option. Awesome suggestion, I'm going to do a little research into a that Rancho lift right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just remember this adage: cheap ain't good and good ain't cheap. A good set of wheels and 35s are going to be 2000-2500 (for 5.) A simple rubicon lift is around $750. Tailgate tire holder.... $125. Then the little things will get you....tpms, possibly different lugnuts. Do you want to upgrade your steering stabilizer? In my humblest of humble opinions....to do it right....with quality pieces....doing the work yourself..... $4000.

I was reading about steering stabilizers 3 days ago, i was unsure of wether they were a necessity when upgrading to 35's. The plan is to install top grade parts only once, I guess Im just getting a little impatient and I need to accumulate a bit more currency before I decide to dive into the 35s. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Pretty sure I came in just under $3000. List of what I installed: RK 2.5SM, Bilstein 5100's, RK bump stops, Synergy 1.75" spacers, MBRP tailgate reinforcement kit, ?? Third brake light extension, ?? Spare tire extension, and 35" Toyo MT's.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I was reading about steering stabilizers 3 days ago, i was unsure of wether they were a necessity when upgrading to 35's. The plan is to install top grade parts only once, I guess Im just getting a little impatient and I need to accumulate a bit more currency before I decide to dive into the 35s. Thank you for your time.
Besides that is not taking into account any discounts you can find, that was basic "listed on the internet pricing." You should be able to do a little better then that by calling an supporting vendor.

Granted you should probably pay attention to the tailgate but with duratracs being on the lighter smaller side for a "35" and you don't plan on going crazy you should be fine until funds replenish. You could save even more by going with 4 tires now and in 5-6000 miles when it's time to rotate spring for the 5th tire mounted so you can roll that into a 5 tire rotation. Who cares if you run 3 months without a spare. Discount tire hazard protection which you should buy with the money you save by calling a vendor and getting a small break on price from other items. It's a gamble but you'll save $350 in the short run.

it's not about doing it "on the cheap" as no part I quoted is junk. Rancho sport lift is very respectable and you can add the geometry correction brackets down the road. Spidertrax spacers are $99 a pair and are pretty much the standard by which other spacers are judged. RS9000XL are a superb set of shocks with adjustability for driving preference and terrain. Duratracs have about the largest following as any other "mixed format" upsized tire in the whole Jeep world.

Had I said... go get some retreads, mount em yourself with lighter fluid and a match, buy the cheapest spacers you can find, get a spacer lift, and get an eBay special bumper/tire carrier that will rust in 6 months.... that would be doing it on the cheap however that would work with money to spare.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
steering stabilizer is 100% unnecessary

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just did a 2" BB lift and 285/75/R16 Goodyear Duratracs and MB Chaos 5 wheels for right at $2000. I went 33's and even though my 07 JKU came with 4.10's, I still notice a difference. At least on hills. I personally wouldn't go 35's unless I was regearing. But that's just my personal preference. I also have the 3.8L so I'm sure that makes a difference too. Here's a link to my lift thread.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/finally-started-the-mods-538121.html

·
Registered
140 Posts
I installed AEV2.5 dual sport with geo correction bracket ($1100) and five 315/70r17 Duratrac's ($1500) total of $2600. If you can find a rim set for under $500, then you are golden. Looks possible.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.