Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the parts store buying some new steel wheels, I was supposed to be getting 15x8 with a 3" backspace, when I got home I realized they were 15x9 with a 3" backspace. Will the 10.5 tires be work with the wider rims? I do plan on upgrading to 33x12.50 in the future. should i go back and get the narrower rims?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, this is my first day here, if anyone could tell me how to move this to the wheels/tires section that would be great.

·
Administrator
12,609 Posts
I would go back and get the 15x8 and get between 3.75 and 4 on the backspacing.. 3" on the bs is way to far out.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
depends on the look that you want..my wife has that size tire on 10 inch wheels and it looks great to me..3 inch backspace is fine if you want it to hang out some

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
can anyone post up pics. of a couple pics. of different sizes,,that would be a great help,,,

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not concerned with the tires sticking out past my fender flares, but will a 3" backspace put more strain on wheel bearings etc?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
In that case I might just keep the rims I got, I think the wider stance should look pretty good, especially after I get some wider flares.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I love the wide look personally..here is my wifes 31/10.50's on 10 inch wide wheels with 3 1/2 backspace...yours would not be very much different

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks good to me, nice rims, they look like they came off a hd fatboy lol

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
looks good to me, nice rims, they look like they came off a hd fatboy lol
never thought about that but you are right..I am 55..when I was a teenager these centerlines were the baddest rims you could have on your hotrod..I have a set that is 8 inch wide on my 91 yj with 33's and am about to put 1 1/2 inch spacers on them to kick them out like my wifes..I also have another set of 8 lug 16 1/2 inch like them that are 10 inches wide that I will put on my 97 tj rock crawler when it needs tires so that I can run the military good years..then I will have this same style on all 3 of our jeeps...oh yeah,when I put the 1 1/2 inch spacers on my 91 I will have a lot less back spacing than your 3 inch but am not worried because I have done the same thing several times before with no ill effects

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
How much lift on your wifes jeep harleydragon?
3 inch body lift...a lot of people on here don't like body lifts but I do for 2 reasons..it keeps everything in the driveline in its factory position which will be smoother operating and last longer plus it moves the body away from all the heat for a much cooler floorboard

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ahhh.. i was hoping it was an auto, as mine is, I was wondering what has to be extended when doing 2" or more or BL to an auto.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
ahhh.. i was hoping it was an auto, as mine is, I was wondering what has to be extended when doing 2" or more or BL to an auto.
I have not even looked at the linkage on my 91yj automatic but I would think you would probably have to extend the rod on your shifter and you would probably have to notch your floorboard for the 4x4 shifter..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts