Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 wrangler with stock suspension. I'm going to be puting 31 in bf goodrich mud tires on it. Will they rub off road if i disconnect the sway bar? Will backspacing help with this?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
im confused? what do you mean?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean with the sway bars disconected the wheels go up and down more, so will 31 in tires rub the top of the fender walls? would the tires be to big for the stock suspension off road? Sorry if this is a stupid question i'm a noob.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
well my 31s rubbed on my jeep with stock wheels if i tried to do a u-e.. i never had any problems with them rubbing on the fender.. but if you disco them.. im sure you will..

if i were you.. id spend 35$ and get the 1'' bb off of ebay.. then put the discos on.. that should be good enough

the only way you are goin to add backspacing is getting new rims or gettin wheel spacers.. i just installed 1'' wheel spacers on my rig because i also put on 3''s of lift and plan on gettin 33's which are 2'' wider than my 31's

i wouldnt recommend wheel spacers.. but then again i have them =X

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about getting a 2 in budget boost anyway so i guess now would be a good time. Can i use factory shocks with a 2 in bb or do i need new shocks? What is the most cost effective boost?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
yah u can get a 2'' bb and use factory suspension.. only thing it you wont have as great of flex..

if u have the money.. get a 2'' suspension lift.. i got mine from jcwhitney for 320$ shipped and i already love it.. the gas shocks sound great =D but im gonna add a 1'' bb on top of that which was 35$..

if not u can find a 2-3 '' bb that comes with shocks if you want to upgrade your shocks

either 2 will run you 200-350$ depending on the kit..

for a cost effcient lift id go with a 2'' bb without shocks.. should cost you 75-100$

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say i won't have good flex, is that because the aftermarket shocks are longer? And how bad would the flex be without new shocks?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not going to be doing any serious offroading, just every other weekend or so. So would a boost without shocks be okay for me, even if i disconnect the sway bar? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so i'm sold on new shocks. So i'm looking for a budget boost and shock package for about 250. I've seen a few which one do you think is the best? Also I have the 2.5 engine, so how bad will the power loss be with 31 in tires and a 2 in lift?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
a buddy of mine runs 32's on his yj with a 2'' lift.. and he has a 2.5l

u shouldnt notice much of a loss of power with 31s.. but with the 4 banger.. i wouldnt run any bigger tires

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks aloy guys, really helped. I'm getting the tires and the lift in about a week, so i'll post some pics when it's done. This is my first jeep and i just bought it so i'm pretty excited. Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the 2.5l and I'm running 31x10.5 15s on stock wheels. I didn't notice any real power loss and It definitely hasn't rubbed one bit. As far as going bigger...probably would need to re gear. I ran into a guy that had the same setup I do, except he was running 35s...and still had the 3.73 gears like i do...said it worked fine....i wouldn't try it

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I ran 31's with no lift for the first year I had my first jeep on factory rime with no rubbing. 33's with 2" springs and 1" BL with no rubbing. Power loss wasn't enough for me to care about since it is a 4 banger. I did add a 4.0 throttle body though. I don't really notice a power gain but it does seem to throttle up better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts