Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to decide between these two tires. Im worried about the width of the duratrac being to wide. I like the looks of the trail grappler better but i know it wont ride and well. My rig is a 14 rubicon 6spd 2 door. It see the road mainly and will be used some on the weekends for offroading. I also need to get off our hill in the winter. The stock bfg km got me off our hill no problem in the snow, so i was thinking the trail grapplers would to. I would like your input on helping me decide.

·
Administrator
16,994 Posts
I don't have experience with the Nitto, but I have Toyos on my Jeep that are similar. Very heavy tire.
We put the 315 Duratracs on the Wife's Jeep a couple of weeks ago, fantastic tire!
Light weight, quiet and smooth. I'd recommend them to anyone that is DDing their Jeep.

Here's a couple of pics since it's also a Red 2 door. 2.5" lift on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could ya tell a huge difference in power? I was wanting to stay with 11.5 wide tire but i like the way your wifes jeep looks. I was wondering if the weight of a tire is harder on the jeep or the width of the tire?

·
Administrator
16,994 Posts
No big difference in power with the light Duratracs.
BIG loss of power with the Toyos on mine, but they're 37"x13.5" LOL
IMO the weight is a bigger factor than height or width.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No big difference in power with the light Duratracs. BIG loss of power with the Toyos on mine, but they're 37"x13.5" LOL IMO the weight is a bigger factor than height or width.
Hey BB, I agree with weight being a bigger factor on performance. I run 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers - 275 70R18, and I feel the drag over the OEMs. And I know for a fact that the Nittos I'm running are quite heavy - 57 lbs, I believe. I've been thinking to go with 34s, but certainly not Nittos, would you say 34" Duratracs would be light enough? Any reference on weights I can find online? I've searched, they're a hit or miss. My gearing is 3:21.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Why not compare the same size of tires? I am running the Nitto TG's G2's in 315. Really like them for the on/off road use.

·
Administrator
16,994 Posts
i was wondering what wires you hooked into for the red leds you installed in the footwells
The factory white LED lights in the wells are on a small circuit board, I tapped into the +/- on each side and ran a red LED strip off it. Sounds harder than it is, pretty easy job if you can solder. Or just drive to OK and I'll help :D

·
Administrator
16,994 Posts
Hey BB, I agree with weight being a bigger factor on performance. I run 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers - 275 70R18, and I feel the drag over the OEMs. And I know for a fact that the Nittos I'm running are quite heavy - 57 lbs, I believe. I've been thinking to go with 34s, but certainly not Nittos, would you say 34" Duratracs would be light enough? Any reference on weights I can find online? I've searched, they're a hit or miss. My gearing is 3:21.
Was on my phone at a soccer game last night so couldn't give a proper response.
Like I said above I like https://tiresize.com haven't found errors there yet, but I'm sure they're not perfect.

I couldn't be happier with the 315 Duratracs on the wife's. We were torn between them and the Cooper STT Pro, I was leaning towards Duratracs because they are a few pounds lighter, then a buddy got me $1 over cost for a set of five Duratracs. Couldn't turn that deal down.

Don't know when we'll get off-road in hers, so I can't give an opinion there..yet :D

Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
424 Posts
The duratracs are a great tire. I ran them for over a year, it's just too bad they look the way they do, I just couldn't get over that wanna be mud terrain tire look so I sold them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Was on my phone at a soccer game last night so couldn't give a proper response. Like I said above I like https://tiresize.com haven't found errors there yet, but I'm sure they're not perfect. I couldn't be happier with the 315 Duratracs on the wife's. We were torn between them and the Cooper STT Pro, I was leaning towards Duratracs because they are a few pounds lighter, then a buddy got me $1 over cost for a set of five Duratracs. Couldn't turn that deal down. Don't know when we'll get off-road in hers, so I can't give an opinion there..yet :D Good luck :thumb:
Thanks for the re-reply, BB, much appreciated!!

If you're that happy with the Duratracs I'll certainly look into it. I like my Terra Grapplers, although I hear the hum on higher speeds, but my issue is weight - do you hear a discernible hum with Duratracs?

I checked that site, some have weights listed some don't. I guess the best way is to have my local tire shop get the tires and weigh them.

Thanks again, BB!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Been running my 315/70-17 duratracs for 4 years now, over 70K highway miles. No complaints.
I too have 3.21 gears, but driving a 2011, gutless 3.8L , and yes it's been painful, but I have a 6-speed so that helps a little. I do finally have a new set of gears on order and hope to get them installed asap!

·
Registered
177 Posts
8 lbs per tire is pretty meaningless. I looked at the Dureatracs as well but the local dealer would not sell me anything other than the stock size that came on the Jeep. Ended up going with the Nitto G2's

·
Registered
366 Posts
8 lbs per tire is pretty meaningless. I looked at the Dureatracs as well but the local dealer would not sell me anything other than the stock size that came on the Jeep. Ended up going with the Nitto G2's
8LBS may not seem like much, however it's rotating weight, meaning it's added weight that your engine has to turn and your brakes have to stop. The general rule of thumb is that every 10 pounds of wheel weight equals 100 pounds of carried weight inside the Jeep. So by going with an 8LB heavier tire you are adding about 360 LBS of cargo to your Jeep.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
8LBS may not seem like much, however it's rotating weight, meaning it's added weight that your engine has to turn and your brakes have to stop. The general rule of thumb is that every 10 pounds of wheel weight equals 100 pounds of carried weight inside the Jeep. So by going with an 8LB heavier tire you are adding about 360 LBS of cargo to your Jeep.
A little math error there, but point made.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts