Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I took a 2016 JKU Sport-S to the dealer to install a Mopar 4 inch lift. After the lift was done I put 315/70/R17 BFG KO2's and the dealer installed it on the stock wheels until I buy after market wheels. The stock wheels which are 17-inch, 7.5 wide, and 6.25 of backspacing. To make the wheels and tire fit a 1.5 inch Spidertrax hub centric was installed which should set me on 4.75 of backspacing and there was no rubbing with inner components.

A week later I finally received the new wheels Rockstars 17inch 9 inch wide, -12 offset and 4.53 backspacing. I thought the 4.53 backspacing should be fit with no issue since it is better than the 4.75 with spacers. However, I was told at the dealer that the spacers are recommended in case of rubbing if the car flexes. Now I am bit confused, cause my feeling is, if it did fit with spacers with stock wheels, it should be completely fine with the new after market wheels with 4.53 backspacing. I have attached two photos, one with after market wheel installed with a spacer and the other without spacer.

need the community's thoughts on this please.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
I have the same tire on Icon Alpha rims, 4.5 of backspace, 3 inch TF lift. No spacers and no rubbing, factory flares, that I know of, yet. Perhaps if I do some real flex wheeling but your bumpstops should save you.

·
Super Moderator
14,557 Posts
You do NOT need the spacers with those wheels...

·
Super Moderator
14,557 Posts
Pressurized, are those sway bar links installed correctly? On the 2" Mopar I believe they go on differently.
You are correct, the Mopar links are supposed to be on the inside of the sway bar per their instructions. The factory links mount on the outside...

I don't know why they flip them to the inside, but that's what their instructions say.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments made, you guys are great. I went today and got the spacers removed and the wheels fit without spacers.

·
Super Moderator
22,047 Posts
I would worry that if you really flex you will catch the hard brake line that runs along the frame with the bolt sticking out from the link.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But, you can keep the spacers if you like the look of the wider stance.
I actually like the wider stance better, it makes the Wrangler look more aggressive, but I am worried that I get pulled over, and then they will pick on other things too. The funny thing I went to a Jeep workshop that lifts Jeeps all day. Many Jeeps there had the wider stance look, and I was having second thoughts.

The guy who runs the place mentioned something about spacers, He said the more the wide stance increases, the more pressure is put on the centre of the axles. That was His own personal opinion on spacers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pressurized, are those sway bar links installed correctly? On the 2" Mopar I believe they go on differently.
You are correct, the Mopar links are supposed to be on the inside of the sway bar per their instructions. The factory links mount on the outside...

I don't know why they flip them to the inside, but that's what their instructions say.
Thanks of making me learn that. I googled it and checked both manuals. It seems that the 2 inch go differently as it was mentioned. I attached a copy of a page from the 4 inch lift manual. The instruction indicate that the links to be installed the other way around. Please let me know if that is true or not.

I would worry that if you really flex you will catch the hard brake line that runs along the frame with the bolt sticking out from the link.
That will be worrying. I will ask them about that when I am at the dealer. I will update you regarding that.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,557 Posts
Thanks of making me learn that. I googled it and checked both manuals. It seems that the 2 inch go differently as it was mentioned. I attached a copy of a page from the 4 inch lift manual. The instruction indicate that the links to be installed the other way around. Please let me know if that is true or not.

That will be worrying. I will ask them about that when I am at the dealer. I will update you regarding that.
When they say the other way around, they mean opposite of stock. So the links would be on the inside of the sway bar and the lower bracket on the axle.

·
Super Moderator
22,047 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that. So that means I should be fine, right?
no the studs should be facing outboard according to the instructions. if flex they are going to rip the hard brake lines out. if you want to leave them that way cut the stud down a bit.

·
Super Moderator
22,047 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,557 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that. So that means I should be fine, right?
They should be flipped. They are installed in the stock position, but should be installed on the inside.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They should be flipped. They are installed in the stock position, but should be installed on the inside.
I went to the dealer today, and told them that the 4 inch lift manual indicates that the links should be installed on the inside. They replied that the way they are currently installed is the correct way. I asked them if they were sure, and they said the way we installed the links is the correct way.

I also wanted to know your opinion on this. If the links were installed on the inside, that means the bolt tip will be next to the tire. Do you think they install it on the outside, to give more clearance between the links and bigger tires?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went to the dealer today, and told them that the 4 inch lift manual indicates that the links should be installed on the inside. They replied that the way they are currently installed is the correct way. I asked them if they were sure, and they said the way we installed the links is the correct way.

I also wanted to know your opinion on this. If the links were installed on the inside, that means the bolt tip will be next to the tire. Do you think they install it on the outside, to give more clearance between the links and bigger tires?
You need to have them install it according to the instructions because those bolts are going to hit your frame and possibly snag your brake lines when you flex the suspension.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You need to have them install it according to the instructions because those bolts are going to hit your frame and possibly snag your brake lines when you flex the suspension.
Hi, I just want to update you all that I contacted the dealer and showed the manual. The dealer came back to me and said that the links are installed the wrong way and bring the car to install the links correctly. I really want to thank you for pointing that out and helping me.

·
Super Moderator
14,557 Posts
Hi, I just want to update you all that I contacted the dealer and showed the manual. The dealer came back to me and said that the links are installed the wrong way and bring the car to install the links correctly. I really want to thank you for pointing that out and helping me.
:thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts