Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting some new tires and wheels this week (finally).

I've decided to go with the goodyear wrangler duratracs.

Theres about a $70 difference for the total amount of all 5 tires between the two sizes i posted.
If I go for the r17, i'll need to buy new wheels..which are going to be around 700-1000 for all 5.

But if i go for the r16.. can i keep the stock wheels? at least for now until i save up some more?

any opinions on this?
thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think 315s on the stock steelies is a big no-no. They are too narrow.

I'm sure folks have done it and survived. But its 1" narrower than Goodyear recommends so that's the point where I would get off the bus.

You would need spacers for the tire to not rub. Plus you gotta pay twice to mount and balance. So youre effectively renting the tires for hundreds of dollars before you get wheels. Just wait and get the 17s with wheels.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Those 16" are E rated, while the 17s are a D. Definitely go for the D, as they are going to ride a whole lot better.(unless you plan on some serious off-roading) Take some time, decide how far (if at all) you want the tires to stick out past the flares, then keep that in mind when you're shopping for rims. I started out with heavy, wide duratracs that road terrible. They looked great, but I couldn't stand how the jeep drove.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.