Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all
In looking at all the 3157 LED bulbs, I see that most sdvise that a resistor 'may' be needed.
Phillips advertises thier 3257led but says nothing about a resistor.
Anyone know if one is needed for tail lights On a 16 Sahara? I am not really excited about splicing into my wiring and have heard stories of the resistor getting pretty hot.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
660 Posts
Greetings all
In looking at all the 3157 LED bulbs, I see that most sdvise that a resistor 'may' be needed.
Phillips advertises thier 3257led but says nothing about a resistor.
Anyone know if one is needed for tail lights On a 16 Sahara? I am not really excited about splicing into my wiring and have heard stories of the resistor getting pretty hot.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Doug
I know a few people trying LED's in tail lights with no success due to can-bus.. I recently had issues with my right turn signal light using incandescent lights. The issue began when the right factory turn light burned out.. I go to my local Napa and buy an 8 back of the 3257's, pop in replacement and things were fine for a few days, then i get the CAN BUS error, 'right turn light out'. I install another Napa 3257 bulb and same thing, after a few days i got the CAN BUS error, right turn signal. I swapped left with right bulbs, same thing. I changed out the bulb harness pig tail.. Same CAN BUS error.. Then i read a post here from a member stating he had same issues and his solution was to use factory Mopar 3257 bulbs. So i tried this, went to my local Napa and picked up a few Mopar 3257 bulbs, installed and so far no CAN BUS errors. My point here is the CAN BUSS system is really touchy on resistance changes and i think you will have problems installing resistors. Some LED manufactures have issues and some LED manufactures have this figured out.. I would stick with one of the manufactures that have this working in the Jeep CAN BUS system. Unfortunately i don't have recommendations for you but will be keeping an eye on this thread because im interested too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, not to give up, I put LEDs in the tail lights only. No issues!
No errors after running for 10 minutes.
So, must be the turn signals, of which I would like to have brighter!

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
amazon has 3157 bulbs with resistors, in series. resistors range from 6 to 8 ohms. all are rated 50 watts. they would limit current to 2 amps or less, depending on voltage. this means they will develop around 24 watts. my 25 watt soldering iron gets pretty damn hot.
I can see where they would be OK for a flashing light since they're not on all the time, but I can also see where they would melt my plastic tail light housings if I had to sit with my foot on the brake for awhile.
if you find something that works, please let us know what make and part number they are.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I spoke too soon. Had LEDs in tail lights and no issues for about 20 miles. Then, warning Buzzer and note'
So, back to square one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can second that the tail lights can be very touchy when it comes to the bulbs back there. I've had good experiences with Sylvania bulbs, however nothing from the Batteries+Bulbs stores has worked properly. All were incandescent.

The LEDs can look cool, but I'd ask if the juice is worth the squeeze. The incandescent bulbs are cheap and typically last several years. To make the LEDs work, you will have to play with the wiring a little, which don't get me wrong, doesn't make for a reason not to do it if you want them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments. I have gone back to regular tungsten bulbs.
In today's LED frenzy, it amazes me that there are no solutions to these issues.
Oh well, I tried, wasted $ and will move on.

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts