Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of putting 31's on my 95 yj it is a 2.5 but am afraid it will
cause my jeep to lug down more than it already does.....anybody got an answer? :confused:

·
Administrator
12,487 Posts
I would say yes it will. really the best way to combat this is with a gear change but that's not cheap, it would help, but your looking at 450ish for gears, and if you don't know how to install figure another 2-300 per axle for install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
power?

ok is thier a cure for the power loss? i have changed out about everything on it......the last owner did not take care of her.....so im chasing my tail trying to figure out th power issue!!!!

·
Administrator
12,487 Posts
How to get more power out of the 4 and what is the meaning of life are perhaps the two biggest questions in life. the 4 does not have much to start with, sure you bore it, blue print it, etc, and get 150hp, but the cost is up there and you still have not gotten that much for your dollar. Some folks swap in a 6, but at the same time you may need a new trany. Some sell it and get a whole new jeep with the 6. And some YJ owners. have even crossed over to the dark side and gotten a TJ. Thus that's why the gear swap is done a lot, but that of course open another can of worms,, lockers, new axle.etc..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2.5L and 31's, On the highway it does just fine even with my Teardrop camper behind it with stock gears. Have to shift out of 5th on bigger hills, but it does good. Offroad you won't notice anything. Now 33's would really rob your power.
Just my opion
1993 YJ

·
Registered
307 Posts
94 YJ 2.5 with 31' MT's, gets around just fine, lacks a little power on inclines...but that doesn't matter if you learn not to expect much. I think my Speedo is off a little....but that's ok too cuz not going fast enough to get a speeding ticket...(another bennefit of 4cyl with larger tires)

It's a Jeep, put 31's on it and don't worry.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ok.......Some guys in here must be getting sick of this question by now.(they all helped me...thanks guys) I have a 2.5 w/ 33" mickeys and had ALL KINDS OF POWER PROBLEMS! need to re-gear up/ a bigger throttle body heavier axels and air/exhaust.Sorry, if you want big tires ....empty your checkbook...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts