Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bone stock 2001 2.5 4 banger with the 3 speed auto. Right now it has 235/75R15s on it. My predicament is I'd like to put 31s on it and a 2" BB lift BUT I don't want to regear. I'll probably trade up to a 6 cylinder in a couple years and don't want to spend the money on a regear. I figure it'll need new tires soon so why not some 31s on the stock wheels and a cheap BB? Will this thing be a dog with that set up vs the 235s? Anyone have this setup?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
What axle ratio is in your axles? 3.07 or 3.73? There's a steel tag bolted onto the diff cover at its 9 o'clock position that will tell you. Depending on which axle you look at, it might also say 3.08 or 3.74 since the f/r axle ratios are .01 apart.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
What axle ratio is in your axles? 3.07 or 3.73? There's a steel tag bolted onto the diff cover at its 9 o'clock position that will tell you. Depending on which axle you look at, it might also say 3.08 or 3.74 since the f/r axle ratios are .01 apart.
I am thinking he "should have" the typical SE 4.10/4.11's... unless at some point they were changed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like my 235/75/15s (new) are 28.9" tall so I would be looking at turning 2 more inches of tire. Although I know most 31s are actually 30.5". I'm sure that would slow it down, the question is how bad. She's already slow with 235s can barely hold speed up a small hill at 60+ mph

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
How can we quantify the "how much" question... it's a dog now.... it will be a slower dog w bigger tires....

Find a buddy w 31's on another jeep and swap out the rears n take it for a drive

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True, it's already slow. Was hoping h to see if anyone was running the set up and could tell me how it was working for them.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Even if they did what would it tell you...

Someone else's idea of not bad could be your idea of horrible....

It will be noticably slower on accel and will need to downshift more often and sooner than it does now

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup I agree. I guess I was looking for a "I had that set up and it was fine, not that noticeable" or "yup been there, don't do it, it can't get out of its own way".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts