Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2.5L 6 spd manual 2006 TJ about a year ago. Looking to start a small build: lift, bigger tires, front & rear bumpers, etc... Like to go with 31" tires but with the low HP of the 4 cylinder not sure if they're going to be too big and cause performance issues.

What do you all suggest?

Note: Have 3.73 gears

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Honestly without regearing, I like the gear spread better with 33's than I did the 31's. You will feel the taller gearing ratio on hills, but for example instead of being in 4th gear, you will be in 3rd.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Picked up a 2.5L 6 spd manual 2006 TJ about a year ago. Looking to start a small build: lift, bigger tires, front & rear bumpers, etc... Like to go with 31" tires but with the low HP of the 4 cylinder not sure if they're going to be too big and cause performance issues.

What do you all suggest?
running 31"
Just FYI you have the 2.4 not the 2.5. I am running 31's on my 2.5 with no issues but I do have the 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
671 Posts

What do you all suggest?

You can run 31x10.5-15 tires on a stock suspension. I have the same drive train as you do (2.4L not 2.5) and while it's no powerhouse you can do it. Last fall I added a 2" zone lift kit. With the tires and lift it took me 3" higher off the pavement. To maintain 65mph up a hill I have to downshift to 5th but it will cruise at 65-70 at 2500 RPM

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
+1 on the engine ID. You MUST know this as the two are not even remotely similar, and the 2.4L is a bit rare in comparison to the older 2.5L block. They share no parts AFAIK. Completely different.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I just put 33s on this past week. I have 2.5 with 4.10. Like most I dreaded the power I'd lose. I was shocked how well it performed. I can actually use first gear again. With 31s I'd start in second because it was too low with 31s. Granted I live in a basically flat area but I'm kicking myself I didn't go to 33s sooner. The thing I like the least about going to 33s is braking is not as good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run 33s on mine. Like usual you'll see the biggest difference on the highway. But its a jeep. Who needs highways?

·
Registered
2002 jeep wrangler x
233 Posts
my "avocado" is rolling 33" bfg with the 2.4l and the infamous 42rle tranny.
Since i have 4.56 gears, will it help switching them for the 4.88 (this is the lowest ratio the d30 and d35 can get)?

·
Registered
52 Posts
4.88 is the lowest you can go with a 30,35 combo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts