Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me some insight on what might be wrong with my tranny before I go taking it to a shop. A few days ago I went trailing with a few of my buddies and went through a few water crossings (not too deep, probably up to the rocker panels). After the crossings, I was attempting to go up a hill and my transmission wouldn't engage in gear, it was just revving the engine. I turn it off, left it sit for a little, and it works again so I think its all good. I don't notice the problem again until the drive home. The tranny isn't switching gears. I feel like it is stuck in 2nd because its slow on take off and revs at over 3k at 50mph and above. So I limped it home and I'm really not sure what the problem is? Maybe water got inside the tranny or maybe it just finally wore out after 133k miles? I had noticed some problems earlier this winter with the transmission not engaging when cold but usually by the time it got warm it was fine so I didn't worry. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
585 Posts
you got water in the trans. do a complete flush and hope that fixes it. if not, you're looking at a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Agree. Pull the dipstick and see what the fluid looks like. If it looks like a strawberry milkshake, you got water in it. Do the flush as stated, not just dropping the pan. If you need directions, let us know.

I also had a similar problem last year but did not take on water this time, guess I just stirred up some trash in the valve body. Anyway, took me about 3 days of manual shifting and it finally straightened out. Hopefully it's nothing major.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,997 Posts
X3, and you cannot wait to flush the water out. It may already be too late since the clutch glues used inside are water soluable. Make sure to flush and refill it ONLY with ATF+4.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Try the flush, and maybe adjust your front and rear bands. Hopefully your air vent in the pump housing isn't clogged, lots of people relocate it.

Just rebuilding my 32RH right now. It had a pump leak. If your truck has a pump leak like mine did, you should see a little bit of trans fluid leaking out the bellhousing, engine side. the direct clutch was 1.7mm and is suppose to be 1.1mm at max. Got a new billet accuator servo with double seals. The forward clutches were starting to burn out too. Had the same problem, was not engaging into gear when it warmed up.
160 000 km or 100 000 miles on my trans.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot guys! It might already be too late for the the fluid flush and filter change because I had to drive it home (20 miles away). I'm gonna take it into the shop this week and see what they have to say about it.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,997 Posts
Don't delay, the water can damage it just sitting in there. There needs to be a sense of urgency when this happens and too often there doesn't seem to be one.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thanks alot guys! It might already be too late for the the fluid flush and filter change because I had to drive it home (20 miles away). I'm gonna take it into the shop this week and see what they have to say about it.
I drove mine almost 70 miles home. Sounded like a bad power steering pump. Went ahead and flushed it the next day and so far still good. This past January was 2 years ago. But I mentioned it to my tranny guy a couple of months ago when I had my daughters car in and he said I was lucky I didn't steam the clutches so as the others have stated, time is of the essence. Good Luck with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts