Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in buying my Jeep the po was thoughtful enough to *also* purchase a spare and mount it. It’s wearing on the rear tailgate though as it’s a super bitch to close. It appears to be hanging down because of the weight of the spare.

Are there any spare tire carriers that *do not* also need a bumper to be purchased with it? I’ve got a tube like rear bumper setup and wouldn’t mind paying ~$200 for a spare tire carrier but some vendors charging $700 is ridiculous.

What are the odds if I buy a carrier and attempt to mount it on this bumper?

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
See if Robert from dirt worx is still around.
He builds custom bumpers with swing out carriers.
By far the best around

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
You have to use a block of wood between the tire and bumper otherwise the tailgate will get bent and not be able to close. 4x4 works perfect on mine and painted black you cant see it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Bestop used to make one that would hold a 33" without stressing the tailgate some people here have used it and love it. Other than that you are going to need a swing out tire carrier mounted to a bumper. If you dont use the back seat mount it to the floor, thats what i did.

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
I didn't want the near 90Lbs of tire and rim plus the weight of the carrier hanging off the tub at all so I opted for the Smittybilt Classic carrier/bumper works well with a 33" tire. https://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/11.htm Slightly aggravating when trying to open it with its tractor pin as a failsafe. For the cost compared to other manufacturers it's something I deal with. One tip I will share is, use a tire snubber to eliminate the rattles. One thing I do like about it is there is no interference with the tag mount which is hard to find in other units.
Jeep 20.jpg

Jeep 44.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Best Top still makes the Tub mounted Carrier an it is pretty reasonably priced. I just helped a buddy install one on his YJ. He paid less the 400.00 if remember correctly. I bought the ExoGate and modified the brakets on my YJ and it is solid but did take about a day to complete the mods.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Reactions: rushwal

·
Registered
343 Posts
A cheap steel rim and 33/10.5/15 or even 33/9.5/15 would take care of that

·
Registered
822 Posts
A 10-inch rim and a 12.5 tire is not optimal. What you want with that size tire is a 8-inch wide rim.

·
Registered
46 Posts
.......And this is why I finally removed mine until I can get something else. I literally ran a ratchet strap around the door to the roll bar when going off road because of the wear and tear on the door.....and the noise from it vibrating! Finally just pulled it off.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I removed my spare tire carrier after i went to 33's because i knew hanging a 33 off the tailgate was going to be a really bad idea. I had planned on making or buying a swing out spare tire carrier bumper but the longer i went without a spare the less i card about actually having one.

Now that i am taking my jeep on longer road trips having a spare seemed like a good idea. The problem is i like to keep my jeep light and it's already heavy with the D44's and NV4500 trans. I really did not want to bolt on an extra 100 ponds of metal to make a tire carrier.

I have never used my back seat anyways so i strapped the tire to the floor with a 3 way pre-runner type truck bed strap. It works great for my uses and keeps the center of gravity a bit lower.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts