Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys,
This is my first post on here and I've got a quick question that I cant find an answer to anywhere.
I got a 16 JKU willys, I installed a teraflex 2.5" coil lift, teraflex 1.25" spacers and I'm having a set of cooper stt pros in 295/70 r17 installed as I type this. They measure out at exactly 33.5" unmounted opposed to my stock bfg km1's at 31.25" mounted. My question is, is the larger diameter going to throw off the traction control BLD system, and if so does the procal or superclass module adjust for this specific question. I'm not asking about the spedo, odometer, gas mileage ect. My main concern is I want the brake lock diff system to work as designed.
Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I don't believe that the BLD is tied to wheel/tire size. It's designed to engage when the sensor detects wheel spin.

As for the 295 Coopers on the 2.5 lift. I'd like to see photos of that. That's kind of the direction I'm going.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Anti lock brakes are affected by tire size so I would suspect that there will be some issues with the BLD since they operate using the same sensors.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
What's up guys,
This is my first post on here and I've got a quick question that I cant find an answer to anywhere.
I got a 16 JKU willys, I installed a teraflex 2.5" coil lift, teraflex 1.25" spacers and I'm having a set of cooper stt pros in 295/70 r17 installed as I type this. They measure out at exactly 33.5" unmounted opposed to my stock bfg km1's at 31.25" mounted. My question is, is the larger diameter going to throw off the traction control BLD system, and if so does the procal or superclass module adjust for this specific question. I'm not asking about the spedo, odometer, gas mileage ect. My main concern is I want the brake lock diff system to work as designed.
Thanks for the help.
You will need to get some type of tuner to reset the tire size for the speedometer and shift points. The AEV ProCal and the Superchips seem to be popular. The AEV worked great on my 2014.

I don't believe that the BLD is tied to wheel/tire size. It's designed to engage when the sensor detects wheel spin.

As for the 295 Coopers on the 2.5 lift. I'd like to see photos of that. That's kind of the direction I'm going.
Here is a pic of my 2.5" lift with the Cooper ST Maxx 295/70/17. There are a couple more pics in my Jeep profile if you are interested.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, but like I said Im fully aware of the speedo, gas mileage and odometer issues and I already have an aev procal (my father's got a spare from his 3.5" kit, came with another procal) my main question that I cant find a definite answer on is how tire size affects the BLD. I don't see it addressed anywhere on the Web unfortunately.
And superchips and aev do not mention BLD in their descriptions. I'm going to call them both and see what they say. I'm actually shocked that no one has brought this up, you'd think AEV and Superchips would account for this and advertise as such.

I will post pics tomorrow of all 5 tires mounted on the truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a pic of the stt pro next to the bfg. It's exactly 2.25" taller. Hard to tell from the pic because I'm parked on a hill and the cooper rolled backwards

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
You will need to get some type of tuner to reset the tire size for the speedometer and shift points. The AEV ProCal and the Superchips seem to be popular. The AEV worked great on my 2014.

Here is a pic of my 2.5" lift with the Cooper ST Maxx 295/70/17. There are a couple more pics in my Jeep profile if you are interested.
Thanks @Phototrek. I've been reading your posts and looking at your Jeep setup for a while now. I'm planning to do something very similar to what you've done.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Anti lock brakes are affected by tire size so I would suspect that there will be some issues with the BLD since they operate using the same sensors.
I think you're right, they use the same sensor. I don't know precisely how the BLD system works, but I'd guess like a typical traction control system does, and that is to detect a difference in rotor speed, so as long as the tires are the same size, I'd guess tire size does not affect BLD. Only way I see tire size affecting BLD, is if the ECU changes the way it handles difference in rotor speed (slippage) based on vehicle speed. IE, is the braking more aggressive at a higher or lower speed? I'd bet the engineers wouldn't want to give us that much info.

·
Registered
215 Posts
JKU with 305/70/17 here. I corrected tire size via the procal and my BLD works like factory.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JKU with 305/70/17 here. I corrected tire size via the procal and my BLD works like factory.
Good to know, thano you. I have a trip planned to Rausch Creek in April, guess I'll see if mine works :D.
Have a winch and mounting plate on order, just in case anyway. Will decide afterwards if an ARE or eaton E locker is a worthy addition. Not going crazy with bumpers and all that. I just want a simple effective and capable vehicle off road to have fun in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Your truck looks good, everything you need, nothing you don't. Well maybe just a winch lol. Are planning on mounting one? Ever had the need yet on the trails?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a really good comparison shot. I've been trying to find a good MT or hybrid AT that's not a 35.
I researched m/t tires and hybrids, for 3 months while my truck was being built. The stt pros are EXACTLY what I needed for my purposes. They're great in all offroad conditions including mud, sand, deep snow, dirt, gravel you name it, but they're also good in the rain due to their 30% silica construction. And just the right size for what I want to do.
I was going to go with 35s but the added weight and width I just didn't need. Not to mention it'd only gain me about 1/2" total ground clearance over the 33.5s, being almost all the 35's I'd consider were 34.2-34.6"

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I researched m/t tires and hybrids, for 3 months while my truck was being built. The stt pros are EXACTLY what I needed for my purposes. They're great in all offroad conditions including mud, sand, deep snow, dirt, gravel you name it, but they're also good in the rain due to their 30% silica construction. And just the right size for what I want to do.
I was going to go with 35s but the added weight and width I just didn't need. Not to mention it'd only gain me about 1/2" total ground clearance over the 33.5s, being almost all the 35's I'd consider were 34.2-34.6"
That's been my reasoning too. "35"s sound like a good idea, except for axle mods, regearing, weight and strain on the suspension parts. It's a lot more than just slapping some big tires on and not doing anything else. Good luck with your build !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's been my reasoning too. "35"s sound like a good idea, except for axle mods, regearing, weight and strain on the suspension parts. It's a lot more than just slapping some big tires on and not doing anything else. Good luck with your build !
EXACTLY! if you're planning on a Full on rock crawling rig and doing real low gears, lockers, axles ect then yea, but for a weekend toy that extra 1/2" clearance isn't going to get you further down the trail, at least in 99% of scenarios.
Around me, I see 20 jeeps on 35's a day and almost all of them are sports with 3.21s and soccer mom's that want them for the look.
Just not worth the money for so little gain over true 33s.
And thanks man, good luck with yours as well!

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Your truck looks good, everything you need, nothing you don't. Well maybe just a winch lol. Are planning on mounting one? Ever had the need yet on the trails?
Thanks! No plans for a winch. When off-road, I'm usually on FR's and a few trails so I haven't had a need. I do carry straps and a come-along just in case. My thought was, this is just one more (mechanical) thing that could go wrong. Hopefully I won't regret this in the future.

Regarding your BLD question, I totally misread your post so my apologies. I guess my only input would be that there are quite a few members running larger than stock tires and I haven't noticed any posts about a problem in this area.

Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks! No plans for a winch. When off-road, I'm usually on FR's and a few trails so I haven't had a need. I do carry straps and a come-along just in case. My thought was, this is just one more (mechanical) thing that could go wrong. Hopefully I won't regret this in the future.

Regarding your BLD question, I totally misread your post so my apologies. I guess my only input would be that there are quite a few members running larger than stock tires and I haven't noticed any posts about a problem in this area.

Good luck with your build!
Always good to wheel with a buddy. Yea you're right about its one more thing to break, my worry is if it gets water damaged and I don't realize and then need it, we'll see I guess lol.
No apology needed, your right, I guess if it was a huge issue, there would be posts regarding it. Hopefully that's the case. I'll be sure to report how the trip goes and any issues.
How do you like the St maxx tires? They look like a better option than goodyear duratrac. I was really really close to getting them instead of the stt pros

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Always good to wheel with a buddy. Yea you're right about its one more thing to break, my worry is if it gets water damaged and I don't realize and then need it, we'll see I guess lol.
No apology needed, your right, I guess if it was a huge issue, there would be posts regarding it. Hopefully that's the case. I'll be sure to report how the trip goes and any issues.
How do you like the St maxx tires? They look like a better option than goodyear duratrac. I was really really close to getting them instead of the stt pros
I really like the ST Maxx, they have gotten me everywhere I've wanted to go. The only tire I have to compare it to is the stock BFG MT's. The Maxx have significantly less road noise and much better in rain/snow. They are on the heavy side but less worries with punctures and airing down (with the strong side walls).

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Ran my 09 rig on 315/75/17 and a gear swap to 4.88 for a year before I bought a pro cal and reprogrammed the speedo, and what a difference. Can't quote any specs or manuals but the whole jeep runs like its yin & yang is back in harmony. Can't say about the BLDS before the recal but it seemed to be working fine. Shift points are better. Smoother shift and better RPMs uphill and highway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts