Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m running 33" bfg`s. will a original Dana 35 back axel handle the strain a ARB locker will put on it. Along with the ARB i am thinking of putting in 4.56 or 4.88 running gears.

What about the D30 in the front

Is it possible to strenghten them so they will last.
Or is it best to upgrade to a D44 in the back.

The engine is a Turboed 2,5 litre with around 150- 160 hk.
I want reliable axels capable of trail riding and the occasional rockcrawling.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are putting in the locker and gears, just get a Super35 kit with the ARB. It comes with stronger axles along with a higher spline count and will work just fine for that setup.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
You will actually have better success with that set up, as you will be able to un lock your lockers, when ever you wish. As kingvm said, you can upgrade the axles, but the debate goes on forever, if it is worth it. Start out with that, and if it does not hold up, to your expectations, upgrade to a D44, or 8.8, or 9, or D60, etc, etc.........:D One good thing about Jeeps, the possibilities are endless.

As this is your first post, Welcome to the WF!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I`m running 33" bfg`s. will a original Dana 35 back axel handle the strain a ARB locker will put on it. Along with the ARB i am thinking of putting in 4.56 or 4.88 running gears.

What about the D30 in the front

Is it possible to strenghten them so they will last.
Or is it best to upgrade to a D44 in the back.

The engine is a Turboed 2,5 litre with around 150- 160 hk.
I want reliable axels capable of trail riding and the occasional rockcrawling.
33's + stock D35 + ARB + turbo + 4.88 = pretty nice BOOM!

If you are sticking with the D35, you should get the ARB with Super35 shafts, which are quite a bit stronger and less prone to breaking. The housing for the D35 is still an issue, so if you are heavy on the gas pedal, you should consider either trussing the D35 housing or putting in another axle entirely, esp with that turbo. Other options would be the Ford 8.8 axle or a Dana 44 from another Jeep.

I have 33's, 2.5L, 4.88 gearing, ARB, and the Yukon shafts. No problems, but I also tend to be lighter on the gas pedal and let the combination of the 4lo, 4.88 gearing, and 1st gear do the work when I can.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
If you get the super 35 kit with 30 spline axle shafts you should be okay.I would also truss the axle too.:D

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Every see "Scrappy The Wonder Jeep"?

Its a 4cyl TJ thats supercharged on upgraded stock axles running 37's :D

as long as your easy on the go pedal, and know how to maneuver properly, you should be ok... for a while anyways.

·
Administrator
12,604 Posts
Buddy of mine ran the super 35 with the detroit and various 33's did fine. Infact the only issue he had was the detroit went bad.

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
Is it hard to upgrade the axles?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
no not that hard.If it has a different number of splines then more work is involved.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think i`ll go for the super 35 axels along with strenghtend running gears and an ARB locker that`ll accept an higher spline count.

Hope it will be fine for years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts