Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's all this talk about the weak actual diameter of the 33" Duratrac (33x12.50R15)?

Can someone measure up and down center (I know this isn't the correct way) and tell me the height of their 33x12.50R15 while mounted on the Jeep at normal PSI levels and report back?

I want to know how much in height (OD) I will TRULY gain from my Bridgestone Dueler 255/70/18 Sahara's while mounted on the Jeep.

Thank you

·
Registered
89 Posts
Never in person, but I've seen quite a few pics of them next to the 255/70/r17's and they're exactly the same height... so around 32"

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone? Is there a 34" duratrac? I snapped this pic next to a TJ with 33x12.50R15's and it seems like such a minor change in height but 2" in width

image-3587559976.jpg

·
Registered
256 Posts
What's all this talk about the weak actual diameter of the 33" Duratrac (33x12.50R15)?

Can someone measure up and down center (I know this isn't the correct way) and tell me the height of their 33x12.50R15 while mounted on the Jeep at normal PSI levels and report back?

I want to know how much in height (OD) I will TRULY gain from my Bridgestone Dueler 255/70/18 Sahara's while mounted on the Jeep.

Thank you
I have the same problem looking for tires in the upper 33 inch range and lower 34 inch range, seems everything runs a little smaller then what is stated on line in terms of measurements.

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
I have the same problem looking for tires in the upper 33 inch range and lower 34 inch range, seems everything runs a little smaller then what is stated on line in terms of measurements.
The tires that use the "inch" sizing has always been that way. Most of the mainstream manufacturers like Goodyear size that way and come up about 1/2" short. So 33's are really only 32.6. The other popular 33 is the 285/70-17 which is typically 32.8".

I have no idea why there is such a gap between actual 33" tires and 35" tires. I'm going to use the 285/75-17's which are 33.9. That's as close to the true 34 as I can get. The 305/70-17 is there as well and is a much beefier tire, but my overland style build will like the 285 better. Neither size has much variety...

Lastly, if I end up with a 2.5 instead of a 3" lift, I might back down to a 295/75-16 at 33.5.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The tires that use the "inch" sizing has always been that way. Most of the mainstream manufacturers like Goodyear size that way and come up about 1/2" short. So 33's are really only 32.6. The other popular 33 is the 285/70-17 which is typically 32.8".

I have no idea why there is such a gap between actual 33" tires and 35" tires. I'm going to use the 285/75-17's which are 33.9. That's as close to the true 34 as I can get. The 305/70-17 is there as well and is a much beefier tire, but my overland style build will like the 285 better. Neither size has much variety...

Lastly, if I end up with a 2.5 instead of a 3" lift, I might back down to a 295/75-16 at 33.5.
Ive been looking into 2.5 inch kits and don't plan on running any heavy bumpers as of right now so I'm sure I'll be getting close to 3 inches if not more with my kit when i end up buying it and installing it that is. But what brand are you referring to in the 33.9 size?

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
Ive been looking into 2.5 inch kits and don't plan on running any heavy bumpers as of right now so I'm sure I'll be getting close to 3 inches if not more with my kit when i end up buying it and installing it that is. But what brand are you referring to in the 33.9 size?
Toyo has the Open Country MT and Open Country ATII in the 285/75-17 size. The Toyo's are fantastic tires and much more durable than the Duratrac's. To get that durability, they are a bit heavier.

Although the tread isn't as aggressive looking as the Duratrac's, they are top performers.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-at-ii-on-off-road-all-terrain-tires

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Anyone? Is there a 34" duratrac? I snapped this pic next to a TJ with 33x12.50R15's and it seems like such a minor change in height but 2" in width

View attachment 1955834
Try the 315 size. I run 315/75/16 Duratracs and they came out at 33.75" mounted on the Jeep. These are listed as being 34.6", and they might be, if you fill them to max pressure, and measure them before they are mounted to the vehicle. I run 29 psi.

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
Try the 315 size. I run 315/75/16 Duratracs and they came out at 33.75" mounted on the Jeep. These are listed as being 34.6", and they might be, if you fill them to max pressure, and measure them before they are mounted to the vehicle. I run 29 psi.
That's the basic 35 for 16" wheels. Nice size, but usually too big for the 34 crowd. Some of the 315's are even wider than the 12.5 wides.

I'm desperate for a 305/75-16 which doesn't exist... If I only owned a tire company. :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's the basic 35 for 16" wheels. Nice size, but usually too big for the 34 crowd. Some of the 315's are even wider than the 12.5 wides.

I'm desperate for a 305/75-16 which doesn't exist... If I only owned a tire company. :)
I know right if someone made an aggressive and light 34 inch on the dot tire that would be amazing, guess I can keep dreaming. I really wish the Toyo's weren't so heavy also.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I know right if someone made an aggressive and light 34 inch on the dot tire that would be amazing, guess I can keep dreaming. I really wish the Toyo's weren't so heavy also.
sounds like you are describing a "35 inch" duratrac. A couple posts up, the guy said his measured to 33.75. the duractracs are known for being lighter. So is this not the tire you are describing? a lightweight, aggressive tire that measure 34 inches?

·
Registered
256 Posts
sounds like you are describing a "35 inch" duratrac. A couple posts up, the guy said his measured to 33.75. the duractracs are known for being lighter. So is this not the tire you are describing? a lightweight, aggressive tire that measure 34 inches?
I wasn't talking about the Duratracs haha I'll give you that one it sure sounds like it. For me it's a hung jury on Duratracs from what I've read. Reason being a lot of people say they come out to be different sizes inflated iv'e seen sizes from 33.5 inches all the way up to 35 inches. I guess when I think about it it comes down to biting the bullet and making a design and living with it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I wasn't talking about the Duratracs haha I'll give you that one it sure sounds like it. For me it's a hung jury on Duratracs from what I've read. Reason being a lot of people say they come out to be different sizes inflated iv'e seen sizes from 33.5 inches all the way up to 35 inches. I guess when I think about it it comes down to biting the bullet and making a design and living with it.
gotcha. For what it's worth, i have the 285/75/17 toyos on aev's and love the set up. I think it's a perfect size for the jku with a 2 to 3 inch lift.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you measure your stock set up you will likely notice that it's about 31" and not the advertised 32", so even if your 33" ends up measuring just over 32" you will still notice as considerable size gain comparatively speaking. But size isn't everything when you swap from stock Duelers to Duratracs. Due to the more aggressive tread design, the Duratracs will also look much better and appear much beefier, especially at the width you're considering. I swapped my stock 255/70R18 Bridgestone Duelers with the 275/65R18 Duratracs and despite both being 32" tire, the Duratracs appear larger due to the tread pattern.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
My 33x12.5x15 Duratracs look big and beefy on my Jeep...but they are the same measured height as the stock 255/75/17s I removed.

A great reference for tire height if you are looking at someone elses Jeep, is to look at the spare tire and where the 3rd brakelight is (if it's stock)

Here is my Jeep on the 33's next to my friends TJ on 35's. The green Rubicon is on 37s.

And finally, a nice comparative picture. The 33's are wider by a good margin but the same actual height. However they fool your eye into appearing much taller. Going from a 17" wheel to a 15" wheel helps with the illusion.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow Espo that it crazy looking at the size comparison. Duratracs are definitely a very weirdly sized tire.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have "the Combo" with 33x12.50 GYD's on 15x8 Level 8 Trackers. Measuring from the ground up to the bottom of a ruler on top of the tire was 31 1/2".

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Yep mine have about the same measurement. "33" just makes me feel better about my shortcomings ;)

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
My 33x12.5x15 Duratracs measure 31.5 inches also. Going to 35" soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts