Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure it has been asked a million times on here but I will ask again :rolleyes:

I have a 2.25 BB, stock gearing, 4.0 L Auto. I want to get 32's because I know 33's need re-gear and much harder on the engine. The Duratrac 33's measures as a 32" and I read they are pretty lightweight for their size.

Question is could I do those in a 33 on my current setup or should I stick with a normal 32 that measures slightly larger than a 31?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
What tires/rims do you have now? You might have to address wheel backspacing too, but I know a few people that are running 33" (measuring 32") with the BB and they have longer bumpstops installed to prevent rubbing at full flex.

·
Registered
670 Posts
What are your current gears?

I have factory 3.73s with an I6 and 3 speed auto. I run 33s. It's acceptable, but I do notice power issues with the A/C on or driving uphill on a road.

It would be nice to have 4.10s, but I get along just fine, unless I had to accelerate fast to avoid something.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
The difference between 32's and 33's probably isn't all that significant...especially since Duratracs measure closer to 32" in actual diameter.

I'm running 33" Duratracs with 3.73 gearing...NV3550 tranny (5 speed). It's tolerable...only issue I have is 5th gear is basically useless aside from interstate driving and I gotta downshift on bigger/longer hills on the interstate to maintain speed at times. I run 55-60mph on back highways in 4th gear and average 17-19 mpg too...lol. Highway mileage sucks though...I get like 13...which is still better than some people get with stock tires so I guess I can't complain TOO much...

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Oh and sorry...guess I should have fully read your post since I re-stated some stuff and didn't answer your question.

With only a 2.25" lift...that's pushing it even for the 33" Duratracs. Here's with just a 3" lift before I installed the body lift...and that 3" lift may have actually lifted it a little more than 3". Unless you install a body lift...I'd stick with a 32" tire.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I think I mentioned it before, I've got the Duratracs too, in the 33x12.50x15s (32x11.50x15) 3.07 gears 3 spd auto, and unless I'm pulling my 5x8' trailer, I don't notice a power loss, just a loss in mpg's getting about 15-16 mpg's now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I think you have cleared it up for me. Gonna just stick with 32's to play it safe :) I think I started thinking way too into the actual tire diameter than I needed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts