Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first tire upgrade on my stock 2013 Rubicon Unlimited. The stock tires are wearing badly and are extremely loud when on the pavement. I have been following some threads, and am still confused about what will work. I'd like to move up to 33 in. tires and keep my stock wheels. I thought that the 285/70r 17 Duratecs were 33, however, one of the threads said that they were 32in. Will I need wheel spacers, and are they hard on components? Will they rub when the sway bars are released? And finally will I need a 2 or 2 1-2 lift and would you recommend the coil lift over the spacer lift and why? I know this is a lot of information, but I would like to make an informed decision based on feedback from those of you that have experience in this area. Any other tire recommendations would be appreciated.Thank you in advance for your reply.

·
Super Moderator
9,100 Posts
I have 285/70-17 Duratracs: they are 32.7 inches, or 0.6" bigger, and much wider than stock, so they look meatier. They roll much quieter and ride more comfortably, too.

Here is a tire size comparison tool; it also has a visualizer that helps you compare two tire sizes side-by-side: http://tiresize.com/comparison

Yes, you will need spacers to run these tires on stock wheels.

I have them on AEV Savegre 17x8.5 rims with 5.2 backspacing (-1 vs stock) and they barely fit without rubbing.

You won't need a lift to fit these tires; your lift decision will depend on what use you have planned for your Jeep.

I don't offroad with this Jeep; I use it for all-weather travel. However, I recently got a 2" spacer lift strictly for looks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. The tire size comparison chart is very helpful. I definitely off road with my jeep and am concerned with rubbing when the sway bars are unlocked.

·
Super Moderator
9,100 Posts
You are welcome. Did you check out the visualizer?

If you offroad, I'd skip 33" and go for 35X12.5 tires, and a 2+ lift.

You will need spacers if you plan to retain your stock wheels.

Since you own a Rubicon, you may already have 4.10 gears, which will go perfect with 35" tires.

My Rubicon has 4.10 gears, a 2" Mopar Lift, 35X12.5 General tires, Quadratec Moab wheels with 4.7 backspacing --no spacers. Everything works together in perfect unison.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you really need spacers? I just got 285/70/17 cooper maxx with 3.73 gear. I have an auto and it feels more sluggish and shifts poorly. I hope I am being paranoid. The stock rubi tires were toast. Will look at getting lift later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have 4:10s in my Rubicon. Do you have any rubbing problems when the sway bars are released? By far, most of my driving is on the pavement. How does it handle, how noisy are the tires and what did it do to your mileage? Love the look. Same color as mine, except mine is the unlimited. Is yours auto or stick? You've got me thinking in a whole different direction now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
285/70r17 on wife's jkur with auto and 3.73 gears. No problems and plenty of power.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just swapped to All-Terrain T/A KO2 34X10.50R17 and love them. I have a 14 RubiX JK and swapped with 19/60 springs I got off eBay for cheap. Gave me a nice 1"+ bump up, w/o mods, and recently put on the Poison Spyder flat fenders, it looks jacked but it is not. No rubbing issues at all. No spacers. I have 3.73/auto and it goes w/o going through any more gas. I can't get more than 16+ out of it...baby it in town, drive it hard, or cruise at 75mph on the highway. I will try to find a pic and upload.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts