Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put 33" tires on my 2002 wrangler sport with manual transmission. I have read that larger tires need differnent gearing. Im just driving around town and the jeep seems to be running fine. Do I need to change the gearing? Will I damage anything if I dont and keep driving with the 33"'s??

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
you will be fine, just might have to down shift on bigger hills. No damage.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
You should change your speedo gear tho'....... Make your speedo/odo read accurately.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just put 33" tires on my 2002 wrangler sport with manual transmission. I have read that larger tires need differnent gearing. Im just driving around town and the jeep seems to be running fine. Do I need to change the gearing? Will I damage anything if I dont and keep driving with the 33"'s??
Did you do any kind of lift as well? If so, how much?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Man,thats great no rubbing. I put 31 Mickey Mtz's on my 2000 TJ sport and would rub every time I cut hard right on level ground...:confused:

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
Dude...How are you not rubbing? I recommend at least a BB like I have. I have 31s. Nice Jeep!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would swap the dana 35 to a super 35 especially if you are pulling loads. It's a cheap mod if you haven't installed lockers yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have 265/75/16 on my jeep, 31's I think. I knew my speedo was off but did know how much. I hooked up the garmin gps and it is almost 3 mph off, reading low, slower than I am actual going. I guess I could change the speedo gear but now that I know it does't worry me. I did have to change the right turn stop to keep them from scrubbing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm serious, no rubbing!! these are BFG 33" AT's on crager soft 8's. thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
194 Posts
what size wheels and backspacing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm jealous! I just had to put new sneakers on my GMC Yukon (General Grabbers...love 'em!) so I'm holding off for a month or so before replacing the 30" GY Wranglers that came on my 2004 RME. I do have a 2.5" lift though and am definitely going up to 32's. Here's the problem... every time I see pics on here with 33's, I get the urge to go bigger!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I see the end caps are off the bumper. I bet you would get some rub if they were on. It almost looks like this jeep already has some lift. I haven't put on 33''s yet. but just putting them up to it looks like it going to rub on the inside of the fender. My wrangler has no lift.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Those look like 33X10.50's. You have a very nice looking jeep. I had 33X12.50 on mine when it was stock ride height, but I had the aev front end on it, the rear the only thing I rubbed was on the stock flares

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes they are 33x10.5 on crager soft 8 wheels that are 15".....thanks everyone for the compliments.....!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts