Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Wrangler Forum, but have been searching threads constantly for the past 4 months or so. In January, I bought a 2014 blacj JKU and love it. So far I have only installed Rock Rails to the Jeep. But after saving some $, I want to mod the jeep and am ready for it to look, feel, and drive more ruggid.

I recently bought a 2.5 Teraflex Budget Boost. And now I would like to install w/ tires and wheels, etc. After a lot of debating on tires, shocks, wheels - I have been leaning toward getting:

33 12.5 17 Mickey Thompson Tires
5100 Bilstein Shocks
17" Rugged Ridge Black Drakon Wheels

I will use the jeep mostly as a DD, and my wife will also use it. We have a newborn too and would like to make it as safe as possible.

I have seen some pics of 33s MTs Baja MTZs w/ the Budget Boost and I do like the look but have concern that tire might appear small after the 2.5 BB on the JKU. The 35s look great but right now I dont want to get 35 tires at this time. Maybe later but my jeep is brand new and I just dont want to be concerned about the next mod that I need to do to accomadate the bigger tires or cause any strain on any other components or loose gas mpg with the 35s, etc right now.

Are there 33 12.5 17 tires that are bigger than others, that are highly recommended (at least as much as Baja MTZs, as from what I can tell the MTZs have great reviews) for 4 door automatc Jeeps with a 2.5 Teraflex Budget Boost and Bilstein shocks.

If there are recommendations, would anyone have any pics?

Thanks
Dave

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
The MTZ is a great tire. Some tire brands run more true to size when mounted on a wheel. However, all tires run smaller than advertised when mounted. The 33" is the un mounted height.

Some are worse than others, like the BFG KM2, the MTZ is a great tire.

Let me know if you would like a quote. I can get all of that on your list.

-Dan

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
I am new to the Wrangler Forum, but have been searching threads constantly for the past 4 months or so. In January, I bought a 2014 blacj JKU and love it. So far I have only installed Rock Rails to the Jeep. But after saving some $, I want to mod the jeep and am ready for it to look, feel, and drive more ruggid.

I recently bought a 2.5 Teraflex Budget Boost. And now I would like to install w/ tires and wheels, etc. After a lot of debating on tires, shocks, wheels - I have been leaning toward getting:

33 12.5 17 Mickey Thompson Tires
5100 Bilstein Shocks
17" Rugged Ridge Black Drakon Wheels

I will use the jeep mostly as a DD, and my wife will also use it. We have a newborn too and would like to make it as safe as possible.

I have seen some pics of 33s MTs Baja MTZs w/ the Budget Boost and I do like the look but have concern that tire might appear small after the 2.5 BB on the JKU. The 35s look great but right now I dont want to get 35 tires at this time. Maybe later but my jeep is brand new and I just dont want to be concerned about the next mod that I need to do to accomadate the bigger tires or cause any strain on any other components or loose gas mpg with the 35s, etc right now.

Are there 33 12.5 17 tires that are bigger than others, that are highly recommended (at least as much as Baja MTZs, as from what I can tell the MTZs have great reviews) for 4 door automatc Jeeps with a 2.5 Teraflex Budget Boost and Bilstein shocks.

If there are recommendations, would anyone have any pics?

Thanks
Dave
Dave,

Welcome to the forum! Post some pictures of your Jeep when you have a minute.

I personally think that the 2.5" lift with 33's is a little bit much on a JK. That being said, if you like the look go for it!

Some Tires will measure a little closer to their advertised size than others, but I don't know off the top of my head which ones they are. Let me know what questions you have or if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I have a 2" lift and 33" tires (285/70/17) and I love this combination. It gives it a nice aggressive look without effecting it's road manners. This is my daily city driver so I did not want or need a big lift with very big tires.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
mmm...skip the 33s and go for the 35s. You'll regret the 33s less than a year after putting them on or the first time your jeep parks next to one with 35s.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
You can split the difference between 33 and 35 with the 315 Duratracs. Its a light tire that measures a bit over 34". I'm glad I went that route!

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
You can split the difference between 33 and 35 with the 315 Duratracs. Its a light tire that measures a bit over 34". I'm glad I went that route!

That's technically a 35. Since no 35 actually measures 35" mounted. They are all some form of 34"+

Granted I am too a believer of regretting getting smaller tires, I did it, I know there are guys out there that are perfectly fine with 33's and don't have the mind set of always bigger. 33's don't really need a new gear ratio unless you have 3.21 and you can fit them with no lift or a leveling kit. There is much more less expenses going into being set up for 33's and that is the trade off. A 33" M/T is plenty capable for 90% of the wheelers out there.

-Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went with 33" duratrac (285/70R17) on my jeep with 2.5 aev lift and love the look. Some times I wish I Would of gotten 315/70R17 but I don't want them until I regear

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went with 33" duratrac (285/70R17) on my jeep with 2.5 aev lift and love the look. Some times I wish I Would of gotten 315/70R17 but I don't want them until I regear
x2....I have 33" Duratracs as well and definitely am kicking myself for not going to 35s immediately. The only thing that stopped me was having to regear.

BTW I've never seen these Black Drakon Wheels before and I have to admit those might be the nicest wheels I've ever seen!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
That's technically a 35. Since no 35 actually measures 35" mounted. They are all some form of 34"+

Granted I am too a believer of regretting getting smaller tires, I did it, I know there are guys out there that are perfectly fine with 33's and don't have the mind set of always bigger. 33's don't really need a new gear ratio unless you have 3.21 and you can fit them with no lift or a leveling kit. There is much more less expenses going into being set up for 33's and that is the trade off. A 33" M/T is plenty capable for 90% of the wheelers out there.

-Dan
Thanks Dan. Everything I read while tire shopping said the Duratrac 315's were smaller (and lighter) than traditionally measured 35's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice and feedback, its much appreciated.

I really do like the look of 35s. I saw also that the Baja MTZ actually measures something like 34.6..

That being said, I have an automatic and 4.10 Gears, with the 2.5 BB would I need to regear with the 35s? Any concerns for an automatic vs manual w/ bigger tires?

I will check out the Duratracs too, they look like a great tire.

My biggest concern is getting a 35 and then having my jeep turn into a gas guzzling money pit..but I really do love the look of the 35…

Thanks again for all the feedback!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
mmm...skip the 33s and go for the 35s. You'll regret the 33s less than a year after putting them on or the first time your jeep parks next to one with 35s.
This is so true. I bought 305/70/R16s about 2 months ago and already thinking I should've gone with the 35s.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback, how do you like your 315s?

What is your set up like to run them? Do you have an automatic?

I was thinking of 2.5 Teraflex BB, 5100 shocks and Superchips Programmer w/ the 315s..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts