Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum but looking forward to being involved!

I just bought a black 2001 Sahara edition. It has 31" tires on the original stock rims. I am planning to put on a 4" suspension lift and 33" tires.

I kinda like the stock rims though: Just wondering if anyone has put 33" tires on stock 15"x8" rims, with a lift, and if so, how did it look? Did you go slightly wider on the tires, or keep the same width? Do you have photos? I'm just wondering if it will look weird? Also are there any functional issues?

·
Registered
199 Posts
You can run 33x10.50 tires on the stock rims with your lift, and there are several Forum members who run that size. There are not many tire choices available in that size. There is a lot greater tire selection available in the 33x12.50 size, but you will need to either run spacers behind your factory wheels because of their 5.5-inch back-spacing, or use aftermarket wheels with less back-spacing (3.75 to 4.5 is commonly used). You will also need to re-gear your axles when you move up to 33-inch tires unless you decide you can live with the reduction in power caused by the larger tires.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had 12.5s on the stock wheels and lost a lot of turning space. I wouldn't go 12.5 on stocks. I ran 31x10.5 for a while with no problems.

·
Registered
91 Posts
BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM2, 33 10.5 - no mud around me, but look and work great on and off road for my Jeep. The narrow width just barely keeps 'em within the stock fender flares.

Attachments

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
You can put a 33x12.5x15 tire on a stock 15x8 rim without a problem, the problem would be that you'll need a minimum 1.25" bolt-on spacer to avoid rubbing, and a 1.5" bolt-on spacer would be better.

Bolt the spacer on, using a thread locker style adheasive and torque the nuts down to about 110 ft-lbs. Good to go. Install the wheels as normal and call it good.

If you don't want the spacers, but still want the stock wheels, then you'll need to stick with a 33x10.5x15 tire, and your choices will be very limited.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thanks, everyone for the good input! Looking forward to being part of this forum.

-Scott
Don't just run out and buy a 4" lift. Look into the benefits of a 2.5"-3" lift plus a 1"-1.25" body lift. The body lift (keep it small) opens the door making other mods easier like the tummy tuck, certain bumper/tire carriers, and higher clearance gas tanks.

SDD74 - you're going to have some rub issues off roading if all you did was a 2" budget boost.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I would stick to 33x10.5 tires. Choices are slim but BFG ATs are one the best all around IMO for a daily drive/trailing Jeep.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't just run out and buy a 4" lift. Look into the benefits of a 2.5"-3" lift plus a 1"-1.25" body lift. The body lift (keep it small) opens the door making other mods easier like the tummy tuck, certain bumper/tire carriers, and higher clearance gas tanks.

SDD74 - you're going to have some rub issues off roading if all you did was a 2" budget boost.
Ya it does a bit. But not as bad as you would think. I was out wheelin this past weekend and only had minimal rub in the rear. That was when I had one of the the fronts in the air. They do rub at full lock. But it is not bad enough to buy new wheels or spacers. Also on a side note, when I'm in the rocks and the trail gets tought I hit it as straight as I can. I don't like climbing rocks while turned. It seems hard on steering and axles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts