Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2.5l 4 cylinder engine in my TJ (5-speed) and I'm running 31 tires. I really like the performance. It's exactly what I could ever ask for out of a 4 cylinder Jeep.

Originally I was set on going to 32" tires and a 2.5 OME lift. But now I'm starting to consider just going to 33" tires and doing a 2.5" OME lift with a 1.25" BL. (this would be the kit: Old Man Emu Ultimate TJ/LJ Wrangler Kit | dpgoffroad.com).

My long term plan would be to regear to 4.88, but not right away. Would it be manageable with the stock 4.10 gears? I use the Jeep 98% around town, constant stop and go.

My fear is that I would hurt the already bad MPG, put extra stress on the engine, and put extra stress on the clutch from constantly stopping and going. Am I overthinking this? Who runs this setup? Is it a bad idea?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Fine with 4.10s and 33s, I run mine holds 65-70 in 5th, 70-75 in 4th gear.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fine with 4.10s and 33s, I run mine holds 65-70 in 5th, 70-75 in 4th gear.
What is the difference like going from stock size tires to 33's around town? What about starting from stop? Do you have to ride the clutch more than usual?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I'm making a good choice

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well I went from stock to 31s to 33s. You'll get use to it its not that bad. I don't ride the clutch, but ill shift at a higher rpm.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I am still on 4.10's with my 33's (been 3 years). I like the shifting points better with 33's than 31's....holds 2nd and 3rd gears longer.

In first gear, you mostly feel being geared tall when you have to start out on steep hills, just takes more RPMs to slip the clutch to get going.

Also long uphill highway grades you will feel it being under powered, especially if the Jeep is loaded with passengers....but you still get to where you are going, but you may drop under the posted speed limit.

In lowrange, it will still be a torque beast offroad.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Offroading it is great, can easily drop the clutch in 2nd when using 4low

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
I put 4.56 gears in mine and ended up with Stock RPM's (manual Trans)when I went to 33"x 12.5" BFG KO's
When you install bigger tires, the goal should not be to gear so you get the same RPMs you had with smaller tires. It takes more power to turn bigger tires so you need slightly higher RPMs than you had before installing the bigger tires to truly restore the performance. Especially with the 2.5L engine that just doesn't have any extra power to lose. For 33's and the 2.5L with 5-speed transmission, 4.88 is the ratio that truly restores the power to a level that keeps the TJ fun to drive around.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. ....like I said I would eventually plan on regearing to 4.88 but until then I just want to make sure it'll at least be fairly tolerable with the stock 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Just get an old 4-speed shifter knob and forget you have a 5th gear. I agree with Dextreme about the shift points; at least you can get all the way through an intersection without having to shift.

·
Registered
389 Posts
All of this talk about 4 bangers makes me want to look at mine closer. PO said it was original 4.10's but I use 5th a lot and I even drive on hilly roads. I have no problem doing 60 on the highway. Running 33's

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know I asked this already but hoping I can get some more input---when you guys start in first gear, do you have to ride the clutch at all? Or does it accelerate from a stand still just as well as stock/31 tires?

Also, it seems like I will sacrifice some highway performance but what about around town? Was there any performance loss around town/under 45 mph?

And, did going to 33's have any impact on fuel economy?

Thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
4.1 Liter 4 Cylinder worth about 50 hp. All about gears.
That doesn't help much, I already stated that 4.88 would be on my to do list. Just a matter of when.

I want to make sure that 33's are tolerable with the stock 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
881 Posts
My daughter's jeep has the original 4.10 gears and 33's, and she has put over 30k miles on it that way. The clutch is still in good shape.
The gearing really only has a big effect on 1st and 5th gear, in between you are just using the gear that keeps the rpms in the right zone.

·
Registered
2002 jeep wrangler x
233 Posts
This beauty was lifted 4 inches, 33x10.5 r15 bf goodridge tires, had the 2.4l engine with the 42rle tranny, even had the 4.56 gears, ended up trading for the inline 6 engine

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My daughter's jeep has the original 4.10 gears and 33's, and she has put over 30k miles on it that way. The clutch is still in good shape.
The gearing really only has a big effect on 1st and 5th gear, in between you are just using the gear that keeps the rpms in the right zone.
Good info, thanks. So I take it you (or your daughter) are happy with the setup? Or do you wish you had lower gears or smaller tires?

Also, just what is starting in 1st gear like? Is it kind of a burden in stop and go traffic or is it fine? Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
Good info, thanks. So I take it you (or your daughter) are happy with the setup? Or do you wish you had lower gears or smaller tires?

Also, just what is starting in 1st gear like? Is it kind of a burden in stop and go traffic or is it fine? Thanks
4 cylinder with manual and 4.10 gears and 33s are not that bad. 1st gear on the streets is a tad high, all others are fine. I can use fifth gear, but I live in a flat area. Off road in 4lo is no problem, ever. I thought about rehearing, but I'm not so sure now. Works good for me 95% of the time.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
4 cylinder with manual and 4.10 gears and 33s are not that bad. 1st gear on the streets is a tad high, all others are fine. I can use fifth gear, but I live in a flat area. Off road in 4lo is no problem, ever. I thought about rehearing, but I'm not so sure now. Works good for me 95% of the time.
Cool, thanks for the help. I'm also in a flat area (Miami) so that helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts