Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image-2653100327.jpg

I've been reading around the forum and see many opinions regarding gearing etc...Often seems from folks not actually "running" this setup, just from repeated hearsay. Anyone
actually running a setup like this and can offer a much needed opinion here please? I got a great deal on a new 2014 auto 3.21. Came with the Lux steel wheels rolling on 29's. Feeling like an old mail Jeep. Wanting the 33's but not wanting to re-gear. She's my DD. 90% pavement with some weekend play time. Some thoughts please? Thanks in advance...

image-679292216.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a 2008 JK with 32s with a 6 speed and 3.21s. I know the motor is different, but mine ran fairly sluggish. I have a 2013 with 3.73s and it has 32s on it when I bought it and it runs really strong. I'd suggest a regear or maybe a tuner.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 2008 JK with 32s with a 6 speed and 3.21s. I know the motor is different, but mine ran fairly sluggish. I have a 2013 with 3.73s and it has 32s on it when I bought it and it runs really strong. I'd suggest a regear or maybe a tuner.
Quite honestly I don't have the $ for it. I got her with a hardtop, ac, and AT brand new off the lot for $24,000 and change. Great color too. Was really happy with that. Only thing I didn't get were the 3.73's. I read all the gearing charts and stuff. I'm looking for folks actually running this setup. I can't afford to make a mistake!

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Here's mine
33x12.50x15
3.21 gears.
On the highway at 2500 rpm I get 17mpg.
Seems to have plenty of power. No problem passing. Might be different story after I drive out to Colorado next month. But for now I'm happy with the 3.21.

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
Its no hearsay. 3.21 aren't optimal for anything other than the stock 29's. That gear ratio is for maximum MPG on nothing but street tires. Can you run 33's? Sure, but you may lose some MPG and feel a bit sluggish over stock tires. True that the 2012+ engine and transmission are more forgiving, but 3.73 or 4.10 with 33" tires would be optimal for a 100% daily driver.

Now some people have different tolerances of what they feel is acceptable. If you don't have the budget for a re-gear at the same time, it is completely fine to go ahead and put them 33's on if that's what you want. A lot of guys do wheel and tires first anyway, prior to re-gearing.

Personally it should not be ok to lose MPG, performance and your OD/6th gear. Until you have driven a JK that has been re-geared appropriately for the size tires it has, you will never know what it feels like and what the differences are. They are night and day. Now some guys will give the advice to wait and see if you want to re-gear but like I said, those that don't have the appropriate gearing don't know and a re-gear is highly recommended.

Bottom line, though, you CAN run 33's on 3.21. Just expect some diminishing aspects to performance and MPG.

-Dan

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a 14 Unlimited with 3:21, 33s and a 2" lift. Honestly, aside from mpgs I didn't notice any measurable difference in performance when I made the switch.

Having said that, it's important to note that I live in a land of absolute flatness. The largest hill I ever climb is a wonky-shaped, crazy-ass speed bump in front of the grocery store and the biggest obstacles I meet off road are poorly hit golf balls and alligator footprints. It may be a whole different story elsewhere.

A friend of mine just got a 14 Sport with 3:73s. I'll be driving it tonight, so I'll check back in and report.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 285/75/16s on a two door 2013 with 3.21. Like you I was nervous before putting the tires on but honestly I haven't noticed much of a difference. The only time it's ever felt sluggish to me was when I was pulling a small trailer which I expected.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. This is a great community full of knowledge and experience. Since I don't plan on pulling a trailer, and it's relatively flat in Atlanta, I'm going to pull the trigger on those then. Those 29's are an eyesore!

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
I didn't even reflash the speedo. According to the GPS it's dead on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Billetjksport, please report back after the new tires. I'm in the same boat with 3.21's but want 33's. I'm in flat Florida and 99% city driving. Worst trails are a little mud or sugar sand. Curious to hear the effect on performance you experience . Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Interested to see what you think after the switch.

I have a 2012 JKU Sahara with 3.21 and just installed the 2" Rancho sport lift. Mine did not come with stock 29" tires, it came with stock 32" dueller AT's (255 70r18).

I plan to move to 33" duratracs when the stocks wear out which will add 16lbs at each wheel. I'm hoping 1" and 16lbs won't equate to a dramatic change from it's current performance. My current power, response, and mileage is not at BMW level but it's way better than my 05 Armada tow vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Subscribing to this.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Power is a completely subjective subject. It depends on your expectations for acceleration. You may not want to drag race at stop lights but you may want to pass a slow vehicle on a two lane highway before you can see the pupils of the oncoming driver.

If you just like to mosey along on the road you will probably be fine but if you want at least peppy performance you need to rehear. Besides you can always regear after the fact if you can't live with the 3.21s.

You may think those stock wheels look like an eyesore but it time they will be sweet and stylish. Owners couldn't get rid of steelies fast enough to put on cool "mags" and now steelies are back and pricey (for what you get). :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Power is a completely subjective subject. It depends on your expectations for acceleration. You may not want to drag race at stop lights but you may want to pass a slow vehicle on a two lane highway before you can see the pupils of the oncoming driver.

If you just like to mosey along on the road you will probably be fine but if you want at least peppy performance you need to rehear. Besides you can always regear after the fact if you can't live with the 3.21s.

You may think those stock wheels look like an eyesore but it time they will be sweet and stylish. Owners couldn't get rid of steelies fast enough to put on cool "mags" and now steelies are back and pricey (for what you get). :)
I have 32s. Will one inch of extra tire REALLY make me feel like I'm driving a dog? If someone goes from 34s to 35s is it the same experience? What if I get small 33s?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I run 325/65x18 Nittos. 3.25" lift and 3.21 gears. No issues in middle Tennessee for me. 16-17 mpg city. 18-19 hwy. My DD. Engine is very peppy. No reason for me to rush to refer. Maybe someday when the cash is easier to come by.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a 14 Unlimited with 3:21, 33s and a 2" lift. Honestly, aside from mpgs I didn't notice any measurable difference in performance when I made the switch. Having said that, it's important to note that I live in a land of absolute flatness. The largest hill I ever climb is a wonky-shaped, crazy-ass speed bump in front of the grocery store and the biggest obstacles I meet off road are poorly hit golf balls and alligator footprints. It may be a whole different story elsewhere. A friend of mine just got a 14 Sport with 3:73s. I'll be driving it tonight, so I'll check back in and report.
How'd it feel on the 3:73's comparatively speaking?

·
Registered
355 Posts
How'd it feel on the 3:73's comparatively speaking?

Sorry, I got tied up last night and didn't get a chance to meet up with him. I plan on going over tonight, so I should be able to give you my impressions a bit later.

I think it'll be really interesting to do a side by side comparison. They're both 2014 Unlimiteds (mine is a Sahara, his is a Sport). Anyone know what would be a definitive real world test between the two? Do we run 0-60 times, 55 to 85 times or something similar? Its flat here, so I can't check hill climbing or anything like that. Ideas?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts