Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my son a set of 33s for his '88 YJ (Dana 35) but have been told that the 33s are too big for the Dana 35, which should not be driven with anything bigger than 31s. Any experience/advice out there for us? If we run it with the 33s, what is the likelihood of snapping the axel or ruining the gears. We're new to this whole Jeep thing and I just want to make sure his vehicle is safe. We got it from a relative and my son will be using it on a daily basis around town and occasionally back and forth to school (2.5 hours hwy each way) but very little off road. Would a rebuild of the Dana 35 help -- is it necessary?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I wouldn't trust it, mine let go with 235 (29") tires! The only reason I have another one under my Jeep is because it was free, and it's getting me by until I swap in an 8.8.

So to answer your question: No! I wouldn't trust that axle as far as I could throw it.

Especially if he is a teenager. I'm just exiting from that era, so I know how us kids can drive ;)

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
I run 33s on a Dana 35 for now. Most will tell you the Dana 35 is weak meaning that under stress the axle tubes tend to bend just slightly when offroad and eventually pushing 35s you will break an axle or worse chew up the rear gear. So everyone opts for the stronger Ford 8.8 out of late 90s Explorers.
Now is it safe, YES there are thousands of YJs running 33s on stock Dana 35s. How long will the rear end last witha teenager in it depends on what use/abuse the Jeep has had prior to your ownership and how it is driven now. If you have no current issues let him drive it. Mine is an 89 and I am old and hopefully wiser and will run it until I have the time and cash or it quits and then go with the Ford 8.8. No use throwing good money into something that could use an upgrade. It is all a matter of choice but I see no reason not to go with the 33s and run it. They do look really good with that size tire under them. Hope this helps, you will get a lot more folks jump on this one with their opinions so check back often and read some real gurus on here and they speak from experience.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I run 32's on my Dana 35, no issues(yet) I would however look into an 8.8 swap to run 33's.

·
Administrator
12,609 Posts
For around town should be okay. If your on a tight budget look at upgrading the stock shafts to alloy..this will solve most of the problems on street driven jeep. Or as stated, swap in a better rear axle such a a ford 8.8 or dana 44 or ford 9".

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Don't beat on it and you should be fine, I have the Duratracs 33x12.50x15s (they actually measure 32x11.50x15). and they do fine on road and mild trail riding

431 Posts
I have an 95' yj ad I run General Grabber 33x12.50R 15 on a set of Craiger soft 8's 15x8 in size no problem with my stock axles and I'm 27, and it's a daily driver 2.5l . Jeeps are for low and slow driving if he wants to go fast should got him an small coupe four cylinder car. I got 158k on mine no problems Wut so ever 50 miles and day round trip to work and home

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have yet to have any issues with running 33's on a Dana 35. If you do any research most will tell you different. I can only tell you my experiences. I weld the spider gears on every one I have had (10 or so).
I weld the rear so I don't have to pound on it so hard off-road to get through or over obstacles. Again that is my experiences.

Therw are stronger axle shaft kits you can buy feom Superior Axle and Gear for $250.00

·
Registered
924 Posts
Stay on the pavement & you'll be fine! My D35 gears went after about 6 months of "light trail riding" on 33's.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Does it have a lift on it? If it doesn't the 33's may not fit. Just sayin.
Right on... We all kind of assumed you had at least a 4" suspension lift, which is what you will need for the 33's to fit. Even then, they will rub your rear factory flares when turning sharp or flexing at all.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
d5string said:
I have yet to have any issues with running 33's on a Dana 35. If you do any research most will tell you different. I can only tell you my experiences. I weld the spider gears on every one I have had (10 or so).
I weld the rear so I don't have to pound on it so hard off-road to get through or over obstacles. Again that is my experiences.

Therw are stronger axle shaft kits you can buy feom Superior Axle and Gear for $250.00
I ordered dana 35 ring and pinion for my jeep cuz they exploded lol.... don't ask.... but anyways I ordered the parts from them and it took like 2 months for them to come in the mail!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts