Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm new here and decided to seek the advice of my fellow Jeepers on a tire and wheel upgrade.

So I'm ready for new shoes on my jeep. I have a completely stock '10 JK wrangler 2 door. I'm gonna put Goodyear Duratracs on it as it's a daily driver. I'm looking at 17" wheels. My question is can I fit 33" tires under it without having clearance issues. I don't off-road much. My budget does not allow for a lift at this time but I am planning a mild 2" to 3" lift in the future. I just don't want to waste money on smaller tires that will look like crap after the lift.

Also on a side note: how drastic are the changes in handling going to be with 33's? I found a good deal on some 17" MT Classic II black wheels. Just putting that out there in case it makes a difference.

I've been doing a lot of research on this and am looking for feedback from anyone who has actually tried this setup without a lift. Pics are nice too if you have a similar setup. Thanks for all your help. *

·
Registered
29 Posts
My guess is you’d be ok; some models come stock with 32s as it is, so I don’t think you’ll see rubbing issues, but more experienced will chime in soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mitternacht. That's what I'm hoping for. It seems that I read in a jeep magazine last year that they would clear. Just can't find that issue. I'm thinking that since I'm not off road much that they will be fine. And I'm hoping to do a suspension upgrade later this year anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Stock suspension and 33's are not a problem. I am currently running 33's on 18" BFG A/T KOs and the TeraFlex leveling kit. That being said, when I originally installed the 33's I had a 100% stock suspension and had no clearance issues or rub-even with the sway bars disconnected off road. As for handling, you shouldn't notice any difference. Depending on how heavy of a tire you go with, the only difference you will notice is a slight loss of throtle response. I'm also running the Superchips Flashpaq and cured that problem too.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
I currently (well before today) have been running 33's with no lift for a few months. I have had no issues on road, very minor rubbing off road.

I bought the 33's not intending to lift. However, 2.5" lift is being installed today. :D

You will be fine running 33's.

My setup:

Rims: ATX AX186 Slot Black
Size: 16 X 8
Backspacing: 4.5"

Tires: 33" BFG AT KO
Size: 285 X 75 X 16
You might want to consider smaller rims. If you go smaller, the tires get significantly less expensive. Most suggest going 15" - 17". More sidewall is better for wheeling and looks better imo. Plus it's lighter.

Some of the 15's will not fit a JK, though easier to fit on a '10 than my '12. I went with 16" because I wasn't sure if the 15" would fit for the rims I chose. Pictures in my profile.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suicideking, I was originally wanting 15" wheels for those same reasons. More sidewall and cheaper tires and yes lighter is better! I have looked at dozens of wheel sites though and there does not appear to be any 15" wheels available for the '10 JK. Might have to go to a shop and talk to them and see if they know of a brand that will work. I know that backspacing issues come into play with the smaller wheels. And I really don't want to have to run wheel spacers.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Suicideking, I was originally wanting 15" wheels for those same reasons. More sidewall and cheaper tires and yes lighter is better! I have looked at dozens of wheel sites though and there does not appear to be any 15" wheels available for the '10 JK. Might have to go to a shop and talk to them and see if they know of a brand that will work. I know that backspacing issues come into play with the smaller wheels. And I really don't want to have to run wheel spacers.
There are lots of 15" wheels available for the JK.

Here are mine. PM forum vendor Discount Tire Direct for a full list of the ones they have available.

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
What you need to watch is the section where the body panels are pinched together, just inside the rear fender flare. Look under there, and you'll see it at the bottom. At full compression on a stock suspension setup, you could rub it with your tire. It's fairly sharp, so if left unchecked, I suppose it could damage your tire. The solution is to cut that little ear of metal off. Make sure to cover the bare metal left behind with some primer and touch up paint, bedliner material, something.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
What you need to watch is the section where the body panels are pinched together, just inside the rear fender flare. Look under there, and you'll see it at the bottom. At full compression on a stock suspension setup, you could rub it with your tire. It's fairly sharp, so if left unchecked, I suppose it could damage your tire. The solution is to cut that little ear of metal off. Make sure to cover the bare metal left behind with some primer and touch up paint, bedliner material, something.
I don't believe he'd run into this problem with this size tire. 35s yes but not 33s.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Backspacing comes into play with all wheels, big or small. You want wheels with 4.5" bs or less. The smaller the #, the farther your tires will stick out from your Jeep.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
MB72 is another that I know works. I did stop paying attention when I bought my 16's though. Might be a good thread to start in the wheels forum.
'which 15's work' or something like that.

·
dirt road inspector
3,005 Posts
I put Goodyear Silent Armour tires and 17" MB Old School wheels on my JKUS with no clearance problems. I have had a couple of members here ask about wheel offset and handling.

The offset is about 1" more than stock judging by the space between the spare tire and bump stop on the tailgate. So not a lot of difference there, just a "little".:angel:

The diameter of the tire is about 1" more than the stock Bridgestone Dueller AT's that came on it, just a "little" more. The tread is a "little" more aggressive but not much and the width is around an inch wider, "little" difference there..;)

Add up all the "little" differences and to me the handling is about 30% less nimble than it was stock. The stock tires and wheels gave it what I call a 4x4 sports car feel. Now it kind of lumbers around the curves and floats between lanes on the highway.:eek:

Would I undo the swap? No way. It looks too cool for school!:punk:

Hope this helps..........:D

·
Registered
916 Posts
Sueby!!

That looks really nice without the lift!! Thats exactly what im after. And maybe a level kit? Kinda not looking into a lift. But man 33's on no lift is pretty sweet!!

33's no lift - no problems, ran that way for a couple months but I never went off road, I assume it would have rubbed a bit:

View attachment 94692

33's with 2.5 lift:

View attachment 94693

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I currently (well before today) have been running 33's with no lift for a few months. I have had no issues on road, very minor rubbing off road.

I bought the 33's not intending to lift. However, 2.5" lift is being installed today. :D

You will be fine running 33's.

My setup:

Rims: ATX AX186 Slot Black
Size: 16 X 8
Backspacing: 4.5"

Tires: 33" BFG AT KO
Size: 285 X 75 X 16
You might want to consider smaller rims. If you go smaller, the tires get significantly less expensive. Most suggest going 15" - 17". More sidewall is better for wheeling and looks better imo. Plus it's lighter.

Some of the 15's will not fit a JK, though easier to fit on a '10 than my '12. I went with 16" because I wasn't sure if the 15" would fit for the rims I chose. Pictures in my profile.
With the minor rubbing off-road what damage can be done from that? I'm looking at doing same by getting 33" tires and 15" wheels 1st then in a few more months get the lift. I do some minor off roading too. Can I damage anything terribly?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I put Goodyear Silent Armour tires and 17" MB Old School wheels on my JKUS with no clearance problems. I have had a couple of members here ask about wheel offset and handling.

The offset is about 1" more than stock judging by the space between the spare tire and bump stop on the tailgate. So not a lot of difference there, just a "little".:angel:

The diameter of the tire is about 1" more than the stock Bridgestone Dueller AT's that came on it, just a "little" more. The tread is a "little" more aggressive but not much and the width is around an inch wider, "little" difference there..;)

Add up all the "little" differences and to me the handling is about 30% less nimble than it was stock. The stock tires and wheels gave it what I call a 4x4 sports car feel. Now it kind of lumbers around the curves and floats between lanes on the highway.:eek:

Would I undo the swap? No way. It looks too cool for school!:punk:

Hope this helps..........:D

Very nice wheels. I would love to have those if they only came in a 16" and with a little less backspacing.

NICELY DONE!!!

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
With the minor rubbing off-road what damage can be done from that? I'm looking at doing same by getting 33" tires and 15" wheels 1st then in a few more months get the lift. I do some minor off roading too. Can I damage anything terribly?
That's pretty much what I did: got the wheels and only went a couple times with them, then got the lift.

The rubbing was very minor, but not really doing hard stuff either. I didn't disconnect the front. As long as you don't want to disconnect the sway bar, I doubt you would damage anything.

One thing that probably helped is that I have the max tow package, so have the stiffer 17/59 springs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts