Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any solutions on how to fit a 33 in spare tire without getting a $40 spacer? That just seems ridiculous to me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I mounted a 33" tire over the stock bumper after installing a 1.25" JKS Body lift. Then I spaced the 3rd brake light upwards using four 1" spacers and longer bolts.

Without the body lift, you'll have to remove the bumper or mount it at least an inch lower.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I've had a 33x12.5 on the stock carrier for 6 years. Many of us have them back there. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that the tire is tight on the rubber snubbers on the back so the tire does not bounce. Depending on the rim backspacing, you will need to space out or cut the snubbers.

·
Registered
348 Posts
So, theoretically I should have no

Problem putting a 31 on the stock carrier. Ive been putting it off.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
31 is no issue. The Rubicon comes stock with 31's

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a 33x12.5 on mine also, the rim has enough backspacing to keep it snug on the carrier for me and the tire also rests on my rear bumper

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,424 Posts
A 33 is fine on the back, as long as you make sure the snubbers are tight against the tire. That way the tire doesn't move around and stress/fatigue the metal of the tailgate.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ditto to what Off Road King said. I ran that way for about a year but now have a swing arm.

I've heard mounting a 33 on the stock mount is bad juju because it is too heavy and can tear the sheet metal around the tailgate hinges.

·
Administrator
12,564 Posts
The weak point is the mount itself..mine cracked/busted at the bottom lip of the black mount itself.. If you can weld this area a bit or reinforce it and it will do a better job. this was after a year or so with a 33 and heavy trail use.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure how you guys got this on the carrier but my 33x12.5 is hitting the bumper before I can close the tailgate. Wheel has 3.75 back spacing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have 31s on my tj and the tire was wayyyy out from the snubbers. Like 2" give or take. I took the mount off, brought it to my neighborhood welding shop and had him cut the plate and 2" off it. He made a new plate in about 3 min welded it back on and $20 later I was set. Now I have always told my welder he works to cheap (I worked for him in 1990 and he was too cheap then too) but even at $50 this was a good solution.

To fit your 33 you could just put a little taller plate on.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a 32x11.50R15 on my stock carrier and it fit without any spacers. I did raise my CHMSL about 2"... but that was more about safety/visibility rather than for clearance/fit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts