Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are alot of post on this but they are all so controversial and i want to hear your opinions , i recently bought a jku stock and want to rought i up a bit, i was plannig on putting 35s “because they look bada** but debating since im a college student who Jeep with be a daily driver , now going towards 33s pro comp black . Id also like a lift so when i take it off roading they dont rub, what set up do you guys think ? Ps id like the wheels to come out the fenders just a bit , the tires dont have to be that wide mayve 10 instead of 12.5? Haha need all the help i can get

·
Registered
14 Posts
I asked the same question regarding my YJ with 2.5 lift. I want to upgrade to a 33 inch tire. So far a lot of views but no input yet. I be tracking your thread also. Good luck

Hwy

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just recently aquired a Mopar 2 inch lift that I probably won't install until I get new tires. I am going back and forth over the Nitto ridge Grapplers 255 80 17 and 285 75 17. The nittos are more true to size than ko2s and others. I would give a 255 80 17 a hard look if I were you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've been running 285/75-16s which would be similar to 285/70-17s and i have yet to hit a situation where I needed 35s. Most of my action is fire roads or "primitive roads" with one trip to Moab and a little slick rock in Sedona. Only clearance issue I've ever had involved my mudguards and a boulder the height of the frame. I have never had any perceivable rubbing.

I only have the OEM spring exchange which is probably equivalent to a leveling kit. Since you have a JKU, you are probably already on the max OEM springs, so if would be looking at the leveling kit to give you just that little bit of extra clearance.

I think if you went with the 285/70-17s on 17x9s and a leveling kit you would be quite content. Chem's 255/80-17 idea is a good option as well, but I would only recommend it with a 8" wide wheel or the stock wheels with spacers. 255 is a little narrow for a 9" wheel (255 being 10" section width and a 9" wheel is usually 10" at the rim). 255 on a 7.5" wheel is about spot on.

Now, if your wheeling would involve more bogs and mudholes than gravel roads and dry ruts, then ignore me 'cos I don't get that stuff much in AZ. ;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I asked the same question regarding my YJ with 2.5 lift. I want to upgrade to a 33 inch tire. So far a lot of views but no input yet. I be tracking your thread also. Good luck

Hwy
Hey man going to install 33/12.50/15s today , ill post pics so you can see how they camw out for refrence to yours

·
Registered
301 Posts
33's are fine for almost anything you will likely throw at it. They definitely seem to make more sense for your situation. I was battling the same decision recently and I have a long highway commute every day. 33's make more sense for me but I am irrational and am going with 35's

·
Registered
371 Posts

Hwy
I had a 92 YJ. To run a 33 inch tire they installed springs to lift it 4 inches.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Going 33s on mine, just anxiously waiting for my new wheels and tires to come in. I have a JKU 2" Rancho Sport Lift.

I debated the 35s myself, but chose 33s for several reasons.
- It is my DD, cost, etc.
- 35s will require an upgraded tailgate to support the weight
- 33s should be able to do most of what I want. Good for snow in PA, not doing much trails now, but would like to someday.
- Weight...I pull mine behind a camper.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Going 33s on mine, just anxiously waiting for my new wheels and tires to come in. I have a JKU 2" Rancho Sport Lift.

I debated the 35s myself, but chose 33s for several reasons.
- It is my DD, cost, etc.
- 35s will require an upgraded tailgate to support the weight
- 33s should be able to do most of what I want. Good for snow in PA, not doing much trails now, but would like to someday.
- Weight...I pull mine behind a camper.
What'd ya get? :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Looking awesome, I really like those wheels.

Reactions: bdog22
1 - 15 of 15 Posts