Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking tires here, what are the benifits of running 35s verses 33s? There is the obvious price difference in tire replacments and the upgrades to run a bigger tire. I'm just curious is there any real big advantage to running 35s (assuming the jeep is built properly and ignoring the price of all those upgrades needed).

Is that much more differential/axle clearence make a difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
1 " when fully inflated, (aprox) depending on Tire brand.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Your mileage will suck more, and if you don't address your front axle and wheel too hard, you'll bend the axle.

Also, you'll lose a lot of power and quite possibly only be able to regain it through regearing.

All for 1", as Coyote said.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
PRO's-
1" of lift at each pumpkin. (doesn't sound like much, but the only other means to gain this clearance is portal axles or IFS. the question of it being worth it or not depends on the jeeper and how they usually get stuck)
An increase in breakover, approach, and departure angles.
A larger tread patch. (even more so if you air down, and even more more so if you run smaller wheels)

CON's-
gear ratio
Larger tread patch. (I know I said it already, but on the freeway it's a bad thing, and contributes to heat, tire wear, gas mileage, etc.)
more unsprung weight.

Probably missed a bunch, but those are the ones that stand out for me...

·
Registered
23 Posts
All depends on the wheeling

I have stock Dana 44's with 35's on our TJ Rubicon with stock lockers & and stock Dana 44 rear & Dana 30 open/open (no lockers) on our JKU and run 35's. I will be upgrading the ties to at least 37's. If you intend to get out into the mountains I recommend going with at least 35's. 33's will get you to a lot of places but just one inch to small for the bare minimum IMO. The Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar MTR's is a good street / off road tire for the money. I like the 3.5 Teraflex short arm lift for the 35's. I would give Teraflex or one of the other lift vendors a call ... they are always happy to walk you through the options and sequence you should consider before laying out your hard earned dollars on equipment & tires that could lead to disappointment. Call them first before you go buying tires. you'll be glad you did.:)

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I have had 33's and 35's. There is not a night and day difference. The big factor is when you air down a 35's your at inflated height of a 33 give or take. I have done the same trails on 33's and 35s, was about the same as I recall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts