Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 JK has 265/70/17 BFG AT's. I'd like to go to 33/12.5/15 Duratracs or possibly MT/R's. On a smaller rim, of course, with a 2-3" lift.

Most of my playgrounds are about a 2 hour drive north on the I-17 with plenty of 6-7% grades at 65-75mph.

Will I regret the lift and 33's if I stay with 3.21 gearing? I don't mind going a bit slower on the interstate, but should I throw in a transmission cooler or something until I can regear and add lockers and the rest of the fun stuff?

-JB

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
My '09 JK has 265/70/17 BFG AT's. I'd like to go to 33/12.5/15 Duratracs or possibly MT/R's. On a smaller rim, of course, with a 2-3" lift.

Most of my playgrounds are about a 2 hour drive north on the I-17 with plenty of 6-7% grades at 65-75mph.

Will I regret the lift and 33's if I stay with 3.21 gearing? I don't mind going a bit slower on the interstate, but should I throw in a transmission cooler or something until I can regear and add lockers and the rest of the fun stuff?

-JB
Manual or Auto?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
kjeeper10 said:
MTRS :nonono: very heavy tire.

Go with a lighter Duratrac and a 15 inch wheel.

Keeping the weight down is key.
^x2

You won't regret duratracs. MTR you will

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
CactusJoe said:
Auto.

-JB
Then you have 3.73s. No pre-2012 auto JKs came with 3.21s . . . thank god.

Even still, the 33s will hurt you a bit, but 33x12.5R15 Duratracs on an alloy wheel are the lightest set up out there. If you're happy now, then I'd say get a superchip with those DuraTracs and you'll be alright.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then you have 3.73s. No pre-2012 auto JKs came with 3.21s . . . thank god.

Even still, the 33s will hurt you a bit, but 33x12.5R15 Duratracs on an alloy wheel are the lightest set up out there. If you're happy now, then I'd say get a superchip with those DuraTracs and you'll be alright.
Cool, good to know, wasn't sure if I had 3.21 but assumed the worst. :)

35's may be in the plan someday, but not until I wear out the 33's, and a re-gear would be part of that plan. So it sounds like I'm good. Thanks.

-JB

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Oh, and that's a "yes" on the transmission cooler. I'm a six speed guy myself, but my understanding is that the auto trans coolers can be gotten and self-installed for under $100. A definite no-brainer. I bet running a search for the word "cooler" would get you a ton of threads with pics and everything.

And again, unless you're really in love with the MTRs, the DuraTracs in the size you're looking at are super light. Really the only way to go unless you really need an MT or Kevlar or some such thing. TireRack.com is a good source for finding out tire weights, though I ultimately got my tires through my local Discount Tire. They're forum sponsors here, are great with returning PMs with questions, and will match any price you find. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I absolutely love my MT/R's on the trail. They are awesome offroad tires. Not many can compete with them on rocks, As far as on-road, they are not that great, not bad either.

They are fairly quiet for a mud tire new but get a little louder with age. They take a nail in the tread great (just happened to me and barely got through), hard to puncture these things on or off road. Their biggest downfall though is they weigh a ton. Guess that's the Kevlar in them and they really hit the MPG's. But if you don't care about the gas mileage hit they are awesome tires. One of the best I ever owned, hands down.

Saying that, i am going to the Duratrac's my next set

1 - 9 of 9 Posts