Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running this set up? Should I be concerned on backspacing or rubbing.

Also are there concerns on dropping tire pressure with a narrower rim and a wide tire?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You will get rubbing on a 285 (11.20" wide tire) with stock rims when turning lock to lock so yeah you are going to rub for sure with a 12.5 wide tire. You'll need 1.5"-1.75" wheel spacers.

although some run a 12.5" wide tire on the stock 7.5" wide wheel it will not be recommended by most tire manufactures, the narrowest wheel they recommend is usually 8" for a tire that wide.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
You will get rubbing on a 285 (11.20" wide tire) with stock rims when turning lock to lock so yeah you are going to rub for sure with a 12.5 wide tire. You'll need 1.5"-1.75" wheel spacers.

although some run a 12.5" wide tire on the stock 7.5" wide wheel it will not be recommended by most tire manufactures, the narrowest wheel they recommend is usually 8" for a tire that wide.
This is good info! Wheel Spacers will help with the rubbing when you turn lock to lock, or you can adjust your steering stops.

New Wheels are another but more expensive issue. Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like a quote on anything!

-Ryan

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,101 Posts

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Backspacing is an issue with any 12.5" wide tire on the stock rims. You need to run wheel spacers which is common.

A narrower rim with a wider tire provides a cheap beadlock and avoids loosing a bead when airing down. Try to stay within ±1.0 of the tire manufacturer recommended rim width or you will have trouble finding a shop that will mount them and you risk tread crowning.

Going with a rim that is too wide is more dangerous.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great responses guys. Thanks for the links to other threads too.

I wanted to save a little bit of money by not purchasing new rims since my MTs are wearing out but it looks like I may have to fork out the money to get some.

After reading, it appears many 15" rims will not work on the JK so I will most likely be looking at 16s.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I run 285/70R17 Goodyear MTR kevlars (33"x11.5") with 1.5" spacers on stock rims--no rubbing on or offroad with a Terafelx 2.5" lift on my 12" JKUR. Add another 1" and you might see some fender rub as they will stick out more. Mine are almost level with the stock fenders. I have yet to have issues with spacers as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm running 33x12.5 R17 Cooper STRAßE on stock rubicon wheels. I had to put 30mm (1.18 inch) spacers to make it fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts