Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a quick question for anybody running these size tires with a 15x8 wheel around 3.75" of bs. I drive a lot of gravel roads an was wondering do the tires sticking out that far from the flares pick up rocks an such an throw them up against the side of the jeep. I know any sitting puddles or when its raining it'll splash up onto the side but I'd rather not tear up the side of my jeep if rocks are gonna catch an chip/dent my jeep since it is brand new

·
Registered
607 Posts
Depends on the tire, I would think that if it was an all terrain you would be okay. A more knobby tire may throw some more ish up.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I've got 35" DuraTracs on 16" wheels w/4.5" bs, and Bushwacker flatties. Tires stick out about 2", and do throw stuff up on the sides of the Jeep. Mostly snow and mud, but I've been pelted with sticks and rocks, too. Took a mud clod in the chest this summer, wheeling with my rock doors on.

BUT...and here's the good part: Really not a lot of issues, scratch- and ding-wise, to the sides of my Jeep. Which is black, btw. I've got some scratches from branches I couldn't buff out, but that's from riding on a trail that was really, really narrow. Sounded like Freddy Kruger nails on the side of my rig. Nothing I could do about it. But as far as junk thrown up from tires, 99% of it washes off, and you'd never know it was there.

Basically, if you wheel it, the scratches will come.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well yea I plan on wheeling an know its gonna get scratched up in time an also knew mud, snow, ect would sling around which ofcourse comes off. I just didn't want larger rocks thrown up on the sides an chipping my paint an all for right now

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Well yea I plan on wheeling an know its gonna get scratched up in time an also knew mud, snow, ect would sling around which ofcourse comes off. I just didn't want larger rocks thrown up on the sides an chipping my paint an all for right now
Really hasn't been an issue for me...your tires are gonna be a little farther out than mine, but as somebody else mentioned, the DT's aren't bad about slinging rocks.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An its not like I'm running from the law down a dirt road in my jeep(wouldn't get to far) xD I go slow enough or maintain a speed where it shouldn't be a problem I just wanted to get some advice an see if anyone has experiences problems

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Sounds good thanks wolf
There are some things you can do to protect the paint job, if you really wanna spend the $$. A guy on here named PieFace got a wrap for his Jeep...I mean, he wrapped the whole thing. Looked like a major PITA, to me, but I recall him being pretty pleased with the end result. Lemme see if I can find the link...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alrighty an yea I honestly rather not do a wrap I've seen it done before looks like a pain but ill take a look still. New info is always good

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
When your mudding and have the upper half doors off DO NOT stick your head out the window! Learned this the hard way.
:rofl:

Similar advice, and I've posted it before: Never squat with spurs on.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Wolf nailed it with anything that comes up doesn't really leave any kind of mark. If you wheel then your probably do more cosmetic adjusting over time via branches and tight fits but a good AT tire isn't going to throw things all over your jeep as much. Anything that does come up usually can just be washed or wiped off. I've been running 12.5R15 tires for several years and have no real damage or scars from debris off both MTs and ATs.

:thumb:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I had a quick question for anybody running these size tires with a 15x8 wheel around 3.75" of bs. I drive a lot of gravel roads an was wondering do the tires sticking out that far from the flares pick up rocks an such an throw them up against the side of the jeep. I know any sitting puddles or when its raining it'll splash up onto the side but I'd rather not tear up the side of my jeep if rocks are gonna catch an chip/dent my jeep since it is brand new
Yes, almost 30% of the tire sticks out beyond the fenders and it's going to throw crap all over your Jeep's paint, rockers, and possibly windows.

That's the price you pay to look cool and run a larger tire.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
My DTs stick out about 2" and I dont get rocks thrown up but mud and general road slop, definately. Especially that winter slushy goop snow. That stuff gets all over everything, hinges, handles, fenders, the lot

1 - 20 of 20 Posts