Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
What year?

3.8 would be pretty bad. I've got 315x17 with 3.73 and its barely tolerable. Pretty bad on steep inclines.

Can't vouch for the 3.6, would probably still suck though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2012...3.6 manual.

I have 32's right now. If 34's would suck, what about 33's? Would there even be a visual difference?

·
Registered
710 Posts
cverstij said:
It's a 2012...3.6.

I have 32's right now. If 34's would suck, what about 33's? Would there even be a visual difference?
I have 33 all good

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
cverstij said:
It's a 2012...3.6 manual.

With a manual you'll be all right, as you get to be "the decider" on where in the power band your shifts are. I have the 3.8 and 33's with standard trans, i just wait until the rpms are high enough to be acceptable, then shift.

Edit: after seeing nknacd's post, i feel i should mention that i hardly use 6th anymore either

·
Registered
710 Posts
cverstij said:
Have you seen them next to 32's? Plus, 305/65/18's are almost an inch bigger than 285/65/18.
Yeah when i replaced my stockers..

·
Registered
119 Posts
i'm running the 33' nittos which are heavier then duratracs and it does ok. I don't get to use 6th gear too often though. My 12 JKU is my DD and i have no regrets so far, but then again my commute is short, only 14 miles each way

·
Registered
710 Posts
travis29 said:
Yeah when i replaced my stockers..
Search the forum and see if anyone else is running 34s. Ive seen people say 35s and 3.21 have mixed opinions. Some bearable some not soo.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Search the forum and see if anyone else is running 34s. Ive seen people say 35s and 3.21 have mixed opinions. Some bearable some not soo.
I have 35" nitto's on 3.21 with stick shift... it's pretty bad if your in an area with a lot of elevation changes, I have a friend in FL who thinks its fine. I'm in VA and plan on having mine switched out to at least 4.88's, sooner than later hopefully.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a 2012 6speed manual with 2.5 aev lift and 35" mt/r tires and 3.21 gears. From everything i read i was sure i would have to regear. But after driving a few hundred miles so far i am not feeling the need at all to regear. Their is a difference and for the most part i dont use 6 gear anymore. Drive it a while and you decide. I know it is not the ideal set up but i just am not finding it to be near as bad as most say it is.

·
Registered
520 Posts
315/75/16 duratracs, 3:21 gears, 3.8 liter, manual...Its tolerable, but no 6th gear...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts