Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been wondering this. Some 35’s and 37’s are within 1-2lb’s of each other on overall weight. For example a Patagonia 35 weighs approximately 68lb’s I believe and a 37 weighs 71lb’s. Being that these are rather light compared to some, does this help with pushing off a regear? Also stress on the axles and ball joints? Nitto and Toyo tires are heavy for the size from what I’ve noticed. As much as 10lb’s more a tire. Would a 35” weighing ~80lbs be harder on the Jeep than a 37” weighing 68-71lbs?

·
Super Moderator
15,962 Posts
I prefer a lighter tire and went with the Cooper STT Pro for that reason. But weight is only part of the picture, the height is the main part as far as gearing is concerned.
Personally I went a year with 4.10 and 37s before I upgraded. The wife's had 3.21 so we upgraded at the same time, no way we were doing that. Even 3.73 and 37s would be a big stretch.

Now the other components the weight will have more affect IMO. But the difference is you can budget for when they fail, and not do them up front.

·
Registered
709 Posts
No. The leverage of the larger diameter has far more impact on performance and stress on components than the overall tire weight does. Having the majority of the rotating mass just a little further from the hub makes a big difference.
^^^^^^^^ This!

Also keep in mind that even on the same width tire, a 37 will have a slightly larger footprint, giving more traction which increases stress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts