Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to the forum just want some advice on rims. If I decide to go with 35” tires on my Jeep with new rims what would be the correct offset used.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2018 JL rubicon 4dr looking at 3x12.5x17 tires and a 2” lif. No fender flares. I think I might get the FUEL vapor 17” rims

·
Registered
403 Posts
I went with the 4.53" backspace on my XD addict rims. They have Nitto trail Grapplers on them in a size of 35 12.5x17 on my 2017 JK sport. No rubbing at full turn but they do protrude a bit from my stock fender flares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
15,131 Posts
Hello new to the forum just want some advice on rims. If I decide to go with 35” tires on my Jeep with new rims what would be the correct offset used.
We don't use offset in the Jeep world, we use backspace. So, you need a wheel with between 5.2" and 4.5" of backspace. The 4.5 will stick out about 3/4" farther than the 5.2. I run 4.75" of backspace on my JK.

Backspacing ignore the wheel width so you can run the width that you like for the tires you choose. For 12.5 wides, I like a 9" wide wheel...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the help I will end up with the Fuel Vapor 17x9 rims with the 35” tires and a 4.5” backspace. BTW I like the look of the XD addict rims

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should I worry about the extra rotational weight per wheel, seems like it’s about 30LBS extra each wheel between the rim and tire

·
Registered
403 Posts
Should I worry about the extra rotational weight per wheel, seems like it’s about 30LBS extra each wheel between the rim and tire

With my sport and a D30 up front it was my biggest concern so I didn't go too many miles on the 35s until I got an Artec Industries Front Armor kit welded on the front axle. It includes the truss pieces, gussets, etc. The concern I had most was that my Cs would get bent with the weight of the tires and I'd end up with a smiley face look from the front. With this kit it really beefs up the Cs as well as the axle itself. Now I don't worry much about hitting even moderate trails. I feel the stock D40 is fine for the 35s so I left it alone.

Eventually though I'd like to get a new set of front and rear axles with proper gearing that could handle even 37s if I ever want to try that, but that would require a whole bunch of other stuff to swap/upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
597 Posts
You will be fine with 35's, the JL has improved Dana 44 axles. At my local 4 Wheel Parts store one of the employees has one with 40's for a year now, no issues, but this is flat Florida. No way I'd go bigger than 35's myself though.

I also believe the Rubi JL comes with bigger or better brakes than the Sahara or Sport; but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
15,131 Posts
JL Rubi axles are much better than JK. I would be willing to run 37's... Might it break at some point? Maybe, but you can break anything if you try hard enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your help I just ordered the lift, wheels and tires to start the project. Will post pics when finished

·
Registered
371 Posts
I went with the 4.53" backspace on my XD addict rims. They have Nitto trail Grapplers on them in a size of 35 12.5x17 on my 2017 JK sport. No rubbing at full turn but they do protrude a bit from my stock fender flares.

I have 315 70 17 KO2’s on Method wheels with 4.75 backspacing. On the front I would say they stick out a good inch, maybe more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts