Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Got a -17 JKUR (2.5inch AEV lift) Recon with stock sahara wheels (18 inch duellers) that I want to get rid of. Want to move up to 35's and get a set of flat fenders (probably from bushwacker).

Thing is - i dont know anything about tires and what will fit, neither does most people where I live. Pref. I dont want to run spacers, it's a grey area when it comes to inspection so I'd rather just skip them if I can.

What kind of rims would suit me best when it comes to money for the tires? 16"? 17"? As well with backspacing/offset etc.

Tried to google but most people just want to avoid rubbing and dont care about the fenders but im forced to do both.

Thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For 35's you need 17 x 8.5" or 17 x 9" sized wheels, these sizes won't required spacers. Get 17" wheels, lots of options.

If you want to fit the tires under the fenders Mopar and Bushwacker do have oversized fenders.

https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_wheels/alloy_wheels
Thanks. Doesnt offset/backspacing play a critical role in the selection of rims? I mean, I can't just choose any rim with the same(or similar) offset I have now - right?

·
Registered
556 Posts
For inspection, throw the stock Sahara wheels/tires back on....inspect....swap back. It's what I do. Plenty of people quote an obscure part of the code in my state which makes it legal to run even with no fenders and any height we want. But I'd rather go in and not hassle then have to make a federal case about it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have 35x12.5 17" tires on 17x9 rims. They have a backspace of 4.5 (offset -12mm) so I don't get rubbing when turned full lock on the steering wheel.

17" rims have the most tire options so you can find a variety of pricing. Also 17" rims I believe are minimum to clear the brakes (at least most aftermarket big brake kits if not stock as well)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For inspection, throw the stock Sahara wheels/tires back on....inspect....swap back. It's what I do. Plenty of people quote an obscure part of the code in my state which makes it legal to run even with no fenders and any height we want. But I'd rather go in and not hassle then have to make a federal case about it.
Well, where I live, im already running 2 sets of tires (summer and studded for winter) so a third set would just be a hassle to keep around. Want to sell them to offset the cost of new rubber and rims. Very expensive over here. But sure, I guess that's an option too!

PlineyTheElder said:
I have 35x12.5 17" tires on 17x9 rims. They have a backspace of 4.5 (offset -12mm) so I don't get rubbing when turned full lock on the steering wheel.

17" rims have the most tire options so you can find a variety of pricing. Also 17" rims I believe are minimum to clear the brakes (at least most aftermarket big brake kits if not stock as well)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sure, the options are almost limitless but for me not knowing exactly what will fit, is a bit of a gamble. Since I will be exporting it - which basically means that I can't send anything back after.

Call Of Duty MW3 said:
I have 35x12.5 17" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17x8.5 AEV Savegre Wheels. I think 4.5 backspacing will work well. However, AEV wheels and Qudratec wheels have 5.2 backspace and are specifically designed for Jks with 35" or 37" tires.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92500_1302_07.htm
Thanks for the tip! Ill give them an email and see what they say.

For everybody else - is anybody running oversized tires and have it within their fenders ? What specs on the rims do you have?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I recommend the Quadratec wheels that look like oem rubicon wheels. They have the 5.2” bs that will help with clearance. For tires look into the Kenda 35x10.5R17 klever rt. This combo will stay inside the flares.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recommend the Quadratec wheels that look like oem rubicon wheels. They have the 5.2” bs that will help with clearance. For tires look into the Kenda 35x10.5R17 klever rt. This combo will stay inside the flares.
Thanks. Had quite a look at the AEV rims (17x9) but the rims + tires will run me closer to about 5000 USD where I live......

Regarding your tire recommendation, can't find that brand where I live which just makes it a lot more difficult to get my hands on. Thanks for the tips tho :)

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
With 35's you want wheels with 4.5 inches of backspacing to avoid rubbing. Tires are what you can get in your area. If you need the tires inside the fenders then get flat fenders that are 2 inches wider than stock, 6 inches for the rear, 10 inches for the front.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With 35's you want wheels with 4.5 inches of backspacing to avoid rubbing. Tires are what you can get in your area. If you need the tires inside the fenders then get flat fenders that are 2 inches wider than stock, 6 inches for the rear, 10 inches for the front.
So basically 4.5 inch of BS is about ET -6 (17x8.5) or -12 for a 17x9 rim?

And yeah, have already planned to get flat fenders that are a bit wider.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
So basically 4.5 inch of BS is about ET -6 (17x8.5) or -12 for a 17x9 rim?

And yeah, have already planned to get flat fenders that are a bit wider.
Yes -12 for 17x9, can't speak for the 8.5 inch rim. If going 12.5 wide which I assumed I would get the 17x9.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes -12 for 17x9, can't speak for the 8.5 inch rim. If going 12.5 wide which I assumed I would get the 17x9.
Yeah, just saw that the AEV ones were 17x8.5 - assumed that would be fine for a 35x12.5 either way.

Then I know what to look for when it comes to rims, will probably be expensive but maybe less so when im not forced to import.

Thanks everybody :)

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Thanks. Had quite a look at the AEV rims (17x9) but the rims + tires will run me closer to about 5000 USD where I live......

Regarding your tire recommendation, can't find that brand where I live which just makes it a lot more difficult to get my hands on. Thanks for the tips tho :)
simpletire.com will ship them to your installer.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah, just saw that the AEV ones were 17x8.5 - assumed that would be fine for a 35x12.5 either way.

Then I know what to look for when it comes to rims, will probably be expensive but maybe less so when im not forced to import.

Thanks everybody :)
I'm not sure if you could get them shipped to where you live but quadratec has several wheels that like the AEV wheels are specifically designed with the proper width and backspacing for mounting 35" or 37" tires on JKs. Although I do not have personal experience with them the reviews that I have seen of the quadratec wheels are favorable and they are a good bit cheaper than the AEV wheels.

Also I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that for a JK you would want at least a 17" diameter wheel for proper clearance of the brakes. Also I believe that 4.75" is the proper backspacing for 9" wide wheels and 5.2" is the proper backspacing for 8.5" width wheels. Either 8.5" or 9" wide wheels will work fine for 35x12.50x17 tires.

Here is a link to the qudratec wheels:
https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_wheels/alloy_wheels/?f[0]=sm_field_brand:taxonomy_term:13

I have a 2012 2Dr JK with a 2.5 " Teraflex lift and 35x12.5 17" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17x8.5 AEV Savegre Wheels with 5.2" backspacing. I have no rubbing or other clearance problems with this set up. I have not measured but I am pretty sure that my tires do not stick out of my fenders more than 1". I highly doubt that they would fail an inspection in a state that required the tires to be covered but Ohio does not have that requirement so I could not say for sure.

I don't have a great photo showing my Jeep head on but this should give you a decent Idea of the small portion of the tire that is not completely covered by the stock fenders:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
726 Posts

Where do you live?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Keep the stock wheels. 285x75R18 tires. Basically a 35x11. Add 1.25” wheelspacers and paint the wheels if you want. Very little will stick out and no rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks everybody
I'm not sure if you could get them shipped to where you live but quadratec has several wheels that like the AEV wheels are specifically designed with the proper width and backspacing for mounting 35" or 37" tires on JKs. Although I do not have personal experience with them the reviews that I have seen of the quadratec wheels are favorable and they are a good bit cheaper than the AEV wheels.

Also I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that for a JK you would want at least a 17" diameter wheel for proper clearance of the brakes. Also I believe that 4.75" is the proper backspacing for 9" wide wheels and 5.2" is the proper backspacing for 8.5" width wheels. Either 8.5" or 9" wide wheels will work fine for 35x12.50x17 tires.

Here is a link to the qudratec wheels:
https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_wheels/alloy_wheels/?f[0]=sm_field_brand:taxonomy_term:13

I have a 2012 2Dr JK with a 2.5 " Teraflex lift and 35x12.5 17" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17x8.5 AEV Savegre Wheels with 5.2" backspacing. I have no rubbing or other clearance problems with this set up. I have not measured but I am pretty sure that my tires do not stick out of my fenders more than 1". I highly doubt that they would fail an inspection in a state that required the tires to be covered but Ohio does not have that requirement so I could not say for sure.

I don't have a great photo showing my Jeep head on but this should give you a decent Idea of the small portion of the tire that is not completely covered by the stock fenders:

Regarding your tire recommendation, can't find that brand where I live which just makes it a lot more difficult to get my hands on. Thanks for the tips tho

Where do you live?
Thanks again for your input but i dont really understand when it comes to BS. Some people say 4.5 and some 4.75. I cant really find out beforehand and I cant return rims and tires after they have been fitted. Ive been looking at a 17x9 rim btw.

Im in Sweden, the most anti jeep country in the world.

Keep the stock wheels. 285x75R18 tires. Basically a 35x11. Add 1.25” wheelspacers and paint the wheels if you want. Very little will stick out and no rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure, except that spacers are in a Grey area when it comes to vehicle inspections. So it might be illegal and then im out of luck. I doubt that 35x11 would fit on those rims i have now, need to check the dimensions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts