Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for people out there that has damaged their Cs by running 35s and not having gussets. I plan to do some light trail riding with mud and some flexing (nothing crazy) this weekend and have not installed gussets yet. I definitley plan to put some on in the future. Whats your experience? Probably like you, i have read everything from people running 35s on and off road and never having a issue and i have heard of people hitting a pothole and screwing up their Cs. Tango

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run around the trails for a couple of years without gussets & never bent a thing. When I did get it done the shop said there was no damage & not a thing was bent. I think it depends on how you drive
Yeah that is what im thinking...Im not avoiding getting it done, im just waiting for the mod money to build. When im off road, i dont drive fast over rough terrain, im usually in situations you cant go fast in anyway. However, i dont want to flex it up and bend a C.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ken, i know its the right things to do...just wanted to see the likelyhood of going out this weekend and screwing something up.

Suicide King, thanks, yep im stupid.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Ken, i know its the right things to do...just wanted to see the likelyhood of going out this weekend and screwing something up.

Suicide King, thanks, yep im stupid.
I had to think about it too...

You'll be fine with some light wheeling. Just take it easy on the gas pedal and keep all four wheels on the ground. No launching off hills/rocks and catching air, etc. The people that I know that have damaged axles are usually the heavy footed type.

Short term, you'll likely be fine. Long term: Yeah, there might be that extra deep pothole that you miss at a high speed... :eek:

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
we're running 37s on our 12' without gussets. drive it very gently and avoid dropping your front end. they are cheap insurance, and i hear of people bending their axles with stock tires.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I dont understand this gusset crap. I drove the chit out of an XJ on 35's with a stock D30, Wheeled rocks the size of the Jeep and never bent a thing.. Why would the D44 in my JK bend just from putting 35's on it? The worst thing that ever happened to that XJ was a few busted axle shafts.. I ran 35's on a number of Jeeps and never had any issues.. Why is the JK axle all the sudden prone to self destruction from putting larger tires on it?

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
its not prone to self destruction........

A lot of it is because the JK's are a new product on the market. Newer JK's, more shops need to make money on new stuff. it's more of a marketing tactic and a scare tactic than anything.

but i know people who have bend their c's and broken axle tubes. jks'

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, so i guess my next question is...Which is better (preference)...Synergy gussets or tereflex?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kramer, i agree, as with alot of stuff on here...Its preference. I have it kinda narrowed down to either T-Flex or Synergy...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
we're running 37s on our 12' without gussets. drive it very gently and avoid dropping your front end. they are cheap insurance, and i hear of people bending their axles with stock tires.
Yep, i always drive slow off road unless iam at the beach. I gotta be honest Pluke, i am crazy surprised you aint Gusseted. Also i agree about the marketing thang. I used to do some fairly crazy stuff in my CJ and all i had was the old mud terrains on it. I think between getting older and this forum i drive myself a little crazy with some mods that i never considered before.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree with Kramer2K, they all do the same thing! I believe you should do what ever you can to beef up your rig! Even if you don't plan on wheeling it hard, thats ok! But you never know if maybe you'll get in a situation that you didn't plan on getting in and you might have to hammer down on your rig? If that makes sense. I did both sleeved & gusseted.

View attachment 174215

TERRAFLEX

1 - 20 of 30 Posts