Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm gonna be gettin 20x10 rockstar rims with 305/55/20 nitto trail grappler tires...is a 2.5 coil spacer lift gonna be enough for em to clear???

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Is this just for looks? If you're getting 20" wheels, I assume it will never leave the pavement?

Sport or Rubi? What's the backspacing on the wheels?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ok so I'm gonna be gettin 20x10 rockstar rims with 305/55/20 nitto trail grappler tires...is a 2.5 coil spacer lift gonna be enough for em to clear???
That would be a 33" tire...

I checked out the wheel your talking about and it looks like 4.56 in back spacing... technically you would be fine with no spacers, though you could get a small rub at full turn.

Unless you are looks only focused scale back to an 18x9 that is what I run (with true 35's) and I can still off road. If you're bigger than 18's your not off roading, especially with only a 33"

tires are also a good $60-100 more each depending on brand when you go from a 18-20.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Imagine the above with 2" larger wheels and 2" less tire...

·
Registered
265 Posts
33's on 20's does get pretty low profile but contrary to what was posted above your Jeep will still be capable of going off road... 4 wheel drive will still work and the motor will not stop running when the tires get dirty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 09 wrangler x and want to know the largest tire to go to without lifting at all. I 18 inch rims and don't want to change them out. What does anyone think???

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I have an 09 wrangler x and want to know the largest tire to go to without lifting at all. I 18 inch rims and don't want to change them out. What does anyone think???
I also have an 09 X. 285/70/17 (32.8 inches) are what I changed to and had a slight rub at full turn. You could maybe get away with 305/70/18 (33.8 inches) with non stock wheels with some backspacing or 1.5" wheel spacers, but you'll still probably have some rub. You'd be best to stay at 33' if you don't plan to lift.
I've since lifted it 2.5 inches, but I'm staying at the 285/70's until I regear later on. I don't want to dog out what little gittyup my 3.8 with 3.73 gears has.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
33's on 20's does get pretty low profile but contrary to what was posted above your Jeep will still be capable of going off road... 4 wheel drive will still work and the motor will not stop running when the tires get dirty.
Can't argue with that....as long as he doesn't crawl over anything larger than a cantaloupe.:D

·
Registered
873 Posts
Seriously? This topic only comes up once a day or so...try searching for "largest tire on stock JK" and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
If he goes on anything but fire roads, they will destroy those pretty wheels.

Plus, if you pass any actual wheelers, they will instinctively hang their heads in shame. Looks of confusion, etc.

As long as it's VERY light wheeling, should be ok. I don't even want to think about what he would air down to though. Not to mention airing down will make it even more likely that the wheels will get destroyed.

So to the OP: Get whatever you want. If you want to wheel it though, probably don't want to go above 17" wheels for 35's.

·
Registered
265 Posts
305 55 20 = 6.6" sidewall
255 70 17 = 7.03" sidewall (stock Rubicon)
The .43" of sidewall you give up will apparently render your Jeep useless to anything more than smashing melons. Or maybe stock Rubicons are only good for highway use.
In this case don't buy a Sahara with 18" rims or you will be limited to dry pavement only.
And worst of all serious wheelers will hang their heads in shame and Starsky and Hutch will not think your Jeep is cool.
Don't get stuck in the 1970's.
More sidewall is good for rocks. For snow or sand or mud or just climbing a hill the 6.6"
of sidewall will not be noticeable vs. 7.03" of sidewall.
I do agree that less sidewall than stock is going in the wrong direction, but it is your Jeep and you should build it however you want.
Somebody already mentioned it but 20's are a jump in price from 18's or 17's so make sure it is what you want.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
305 55 20 = 6.6" sidewall
255 70 17 = 7.03" sidewall (stock Rubicon)
The .43" of sidewall you give up will apparently render your Jeep useless to anything more than smashing melons. Or maybe stock Rubicons are only good for highway use.
In this case don't buy a Sahara with 18" rims or you will be limited to dry pavement only.
And worst of all serious wheelers will hang their heads in shame and Starsky and Hutch will not think your Jeep is cool.
Don't get stuck in the 1970's.
More sidewall is good for rocks. For snow or sand or mud or just climbing a hill the 6.6"
of sidewall will not be noticeable vs. 7.03" of sidewall.
I do agree that less sidewall than stock is going in the wrong direction, but it is your Jeep and you should build it however you want.
Somebody already mentioned it but 20's are a jump in price from 18's or 17's so make sure it is what you want.
You're obviously missing the point. If you read my posts in this thread. I never said he CAN'T wheel it. Just that you won't want to because it will destroy the expensive wheels. Cosmetically anyway...

That's why I asked in post #2 if he plans on wheeling. I assume it's mostly for looks. Nothing wrong with that. Just making sure he doesn't plan on wheeling with that setup.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ryanJKunlimited2012 said:
So far the other poster seem to be very nice.

Here is my suggestion, sit down and think about this again.
+1 take some time a think it over, you're about to spend $3k plus.

IMO, rockstars are getting played out, I like the wheel but the center caps have to go.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Grumpywilly said:
This thread will answer all your tire size questions: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html

DJL2 said:
Seriously? This topic only comes up once a day or so...try searching for "largest tire on stock JK" and see what happens.
Please don't tell users to search--it's actually against forum policy. It's better not to answer or to just provide the link. :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the help so far everyone and when I did a cover sittin it told me they were 35s but maybe I miss read..and tho jeep is my baby and the body off roading she sees is rock roads and like grass fields..no big rock or anything like that....so I deff wanna stick with the 20s...so I gues a good question to ask is if I do find 35s to go on here would a 2.5 lift be enough?? Or I did do 33s would a lift even need to be needed??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts