Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know the general concensus is that a 35" tire on the stock carrier is bad, so I'm planning on getting either a swing out carrier/bumper or the Teraflex carrier and mount, but I have a question regarding the time until that purchase happens. I just had Procomp 7069 17's and 35" Kanati Trail Hogs put on the JK This weekend and for now, I'm using the stock tire mount.

When they installed the new wheels and tires, they added a bracket to the stock tire mount for the new 35. After looking at it today, the bracket causes the tire to sit up and further out from the Jeep than the previous tire did, but it's freaking me out because it's unsupported out there by anything other than the mount itself. Tonight, I removed the tire, removed the bracket, and reinstalled the spare and it fit out the stock carrier without the bracket, reducing the distance from the rubber bumpers and allowing the tire to sit in the cradle of the bumper.

Am I right in thinking that this is a better temporary solution than using the bracket, considering how much further it pushes the tire and wheel out there?

I don't want to tear the tailgate up or lose the spare going down the highway, so I want to best secure it until I upgrade. Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
I would personally keep the spare ratcheted in cargo area until you can get an upgraded tire carrier.

Reactions: Texan42

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've thought about going that route once the new tire smell wears off some. Right now it's a bit much ?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've thought about going that route once the new tire smell wears off some. Right now it's a bit much ?
Put it in a bit plastic bag... your tailgate will thank you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
...Am I right in thinking that this is a better temporary solution than using the bracket, considering how much further it pushes the tire and wheel out there?
Yes, but this is still not a good solution. If your stock mount gives you enough clearance you can get by with just the teraflex brackets. I bought the brackets and mount because the mount allows you to suck the tire in close to the tailgate reducing it's leverage. After installing mine and looking at the tin can tailgate and the whole situation, I'm convinced it's more of a leverage/twisting situation that hurts the tailgate than a vertical weight problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yep, stock carrier can be just fine once the hinges are beefed up. I wouldn't be able to bring the wheel/tire any closer to the tailgate. Its solid.

·
Registered
336 Posts
So I know the general concensus is that a 35" tire on the stock carrier is bad, so I'm planning on getting either a swing out carrier/bumper or the Teraflex carrier and mount, but I have a question regarding the time until that purchase happens. I just had Procomp 7069 17's and 35" Kanati Trail Hogs put on the JK This weekend and for now, I'm using the stock tire mount.

When they installed the new wheels and tires, they added a bracket to the stock tire mount for the new 35. After looking at it today, the bracket causes the tire to sit up and further out from the Jeep than the previous tire did, but it's freaking me out because it's unsupported out there by anything other than the mount itself. Tonight, I removed the tire, removed the bracket, and reinstalled the spare and it fit out the stock carrier without the bracket, reducing the distance from the rubber bumpers and allowing the tire to sit in the cradle of the bumper.

Am I right in thinking that this is a better temporary solution than using the bracket, considering how much further it pushes the tire and wheel out there?

I don't want to tear the tailgate up or lose the spare going down the highway, so I want to best secure it until I upgrade. Thanks for the help!

I think removing the bracket was a good idea. I ran my 35" setup while sitting on my rear bumper for 1.5 years without any issues to my tailgate. I eventually upgraded to the Teraflex hinge for peace of mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 7069 as wheel so I can attest to the backspacing change.
I had to extended the bump stop by 2 inches.
I only have 33 but the distance from tailgate is an issue.
If your budget is not ready to buy the whole package from terraflex, they sell
the tire carrier itself for $209 and you could add the hinge at a later point.

It will allow you to adjust the distance to tailgate, eliminating the need for
extended bump stops. The reviews on amazon help me decide it was the right option for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Teraflex-4838130-Adjustable-Tire-Mount/dp/B00CI42KPO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1499440953&sr=8-9&keywords=teraflex+tire+carrier

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ran a 35 on the back of my stock carrier for three years. It touched the bumper a very tiny bit. No problems at all.

I upgraded a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
It is better off without the bracket so you were smart to take it off. The Trail Hog is a light tire so depending on the total weight between tire and wheel you may be ok. The teraflex hinge mount would be better though.

The dealership by me mounts a 130 pound spare to the stock carrier.... However, they install a dual steering stabilizer so it should be ok!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am about to buy new tires as well and this issue has come up. In your opinions, if I go with a 285/70/17 tire (33), could I keep my existing tire carrier safely and not have to upgrade to a different one?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I am about to buy new tires as well and this issue has come up. In your opinions, if I go with a 285/70/17 tire (33), could I keep my existing tire carrier safely and not have to upgrade to a different one?
Depends in what tire/wheel combo you choose. The lighter the better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts