Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have a quick question on tire selection. So me and my dad have been talking, and I am in the market of purchasing new tires. I want bigger tires than I have (don't know exact size, I'm out of town) but I'm in the market for either 33s or 35s. My Wrangler is a 2005 sport. I don't think I have the Dana44, nor do I have a suspension lift, only a 3" body lift. I am pretty set on the tires that I want, the Grabber AT 2s. Good price and reviews. I've been reading that I need this, and that, and its going to cost me a nice amount for things (which I have no idea about) all I'm wondering is, can I get some 35s, and use them without problems? I dont want to mess with the jeep, just throw them on and ride. I do not rock climb, or mud.
If y'all are wondering, I have automatic transmission. I reallllly don't want to regear cause that sounds like a pain in the @ss.
Thanks in advance! Go easy on me, new to forums:)

·
Super Moderator
62,805 Posts
Hey guys! I have a quick question on tire selection. So me and my dad have been talking, and I am in the market of purchasing new tires. I want bigger tires than I have (don't know exact size, I'm out of town) but I'm in the market for either 33s or 35s. My Wrangler is a 2005 sport. I don't think I have the Dana44, nor do I have a suspension lift, only a 3" body lift. I am pretty set on the tires that I want, the Grabber AT 2s. Good price and reviews. I've been reading that I need this, and that, and its going to cost me a nice amount for things (which I have no idea about) all I'm wondering is, can I get some 35s, and use them without problems? I dont want to mess with the jeep, just throw them on and ride. I do not rock climb, or mud.
If y'all are wondering, I have automatic transmission. I reallllly don't want to regear cause that sounds like a pain in the @ss.

Short answer, NO :thumb:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do 33's man. If you do 35s' your going to need to get a suspension lift.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Better start reading

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Do 33's man. If you do 35s' your going to need to get a suspension lift.
And a lot of other things like regearing and new brakes and possibly bigger axles depending on what you have, therefor i vote 33s. Its what i have on mine. They do great and look good too

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum. I'm gonna say right off the top that 35's are out. You don't have the axles or the gears for them. You could get away with the 33's. but it is gonna be not so great on the freeway without the right gears. Sluggish feeling. I had 4.10's with my 33's and went to 4.88 with my 35's. I wish I had gone to 5.13's now. And I do have an auto like you. Check the weight of the tire your looking at. The heavier it is the harder it is to get started and stopped. Grabbers are on the heavy side. I believe the BFG KM2 or the Goodyear Duratrack are much lighter. And for a street jeep the Duratracks rock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm leaning wayy towards the 12.5s. What would a good offset be for the wider tires? I like them sticking out last the fenders a little

·
Registered
127 Posts
I purchased a jeep with a set of 35's on it and to be honest I can't wait to get it on some 33's. i have 10 inch wide rims so I will be going with the 12.5 also. Heck, score some rubi wheels cheap enough and run them with a set of 265/75/16's... that would give you just over 32 inch tires.

Unless you drop some coin into proper suspension geometry, gears, and HD steering it becomes quite anemic and will often remind you how poor public roads are. Couple that with the fact that my jeep has a 4 inch lift and still cracked one of the factory Sahara flares with full " stuffage " you might run into severe rub issues. Don't quote me on that.
:wavey:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Don't quote me on that.
:wavey:
Hahah so smart right there. Ive seen so many threads get turned into huge arguments about rubbing your tires at flex. That statement made me laugh since ive seen so many of those haha youve got the right idea!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If you have an 05 sport you have a Dana 44 in the rear. Unless the PO traded with someone.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
If you have an 05 sport you have a Dana 44 in the rear. Unless the PO traded with someone.
Maybe. The Sport had a optional D44, but there are more out there with D35s. The unlimited LJ came with a D44 standard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hate to continue to ask such greenhorn questions.. But I've been researching 33s... And I am questioning if my 3" body lift is enough for full clearance on running? Do you guys recommend a 3.5" rough country suspension lift, or 2" spacers? ( only needed /wanted if 3" is not enough clearance lol)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts