Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Automatic or 5 speed? I think you want 4.88 with the 5 speed elsewise you'll be undergeared. 4.56 IIRC with the automatic is the sweet spot

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I have 35"s with 4.88s, but I should have 5.13s, which are sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.
I have an auto trans

·
Registered
32 Posts
doable...
i had 4.56 with 33" tires and it was perfect for me with a 5 speed. then i swapped in a AW4 auto and went to 35" tires. i like this too.

it has a lot to do with personal preferance, some think their 35s on 3.07 gears are the shiznit! boy are they lost....

i'd go 4.88 and be done since you sre headed for 35"ers too... it's not a huge differance but since you are changing gears....

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
any personal experience?
What ratio is good or bad for 35" tires depends entirely on your transmission and engine type. What transmission are you running, or maybe easier, what model year is your TJ and is it an automatic, 5-speed, or 6-speed. And is your engine a 2.4L, 2.5L, or 4.0L?

·
Read Only
2,599 Posts
I have the set up your are asking about, but as stated above it does matter if you have auto or manual and 4 or 6. It also matters what type of driving you do and fwy time spent. I have a 5 speed manual w the 6. When I had these gears on 33s, I had to start in second and now I start in 1st (briefly) and I can ride the fwys fine at about 65. Off road I have had plenty of torque available in 1st. Would 4.88 work for me? Yes it would as that is not a big change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have them with 35, They do fine on the street and very well off road...It all depends on what type of wheeling you plan on..This may have been stated already but if you do some serious crawling then go high..but if you use you rig for all purpose then 4.56-4.88 should be just fine..

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
I have an '04 auto w/35" tires. I am maxed at 4.88's with the D30 up front.

Me wanna sum 5.13's!

·
Registered
613 Posts
wish i had a d44 up front myself :(

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have an 01 with 35's and 4.56's with the Auto trans. I get out of the hole and have all the power I need but at 60mph I am turning almost 3000 rpm's. If I don't go over 60mph and watch myself on the gas I can get 15mpg. If I go over 60 or hit the gas I easily drop to 12.5 or so. :whistling:

As I understand from this board, and from numerous friends, 4.88's are the way to go for 35's on a manual. I have been in several under-geared manual transmission Jeeps that feel like you are either going to burn up the clutch or clunk out when starting in 1st. Good luck!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2.5 with a 5 speed manual. Maybe I should just stick to 33's

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
I have a 2.5 with a 5 speed manual. Maybe I should just stick to 33's
That right there is a good idea, I wouldn't run bigger than 33" tires with that combination. For 33" tires, the 2.5L engine, and 5-speed, you need to install 4.88 which is perfect for that combination. If 4.88 sounds scary or like too low of a ratio, no worries, it's the right ratio for your particular engine/transmission/tire size combination.

Don't even consider 4.56 which would only be a good choice if you had the 4.0L engine instead of your 2.5L.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts