Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M thinking of putting 35x12:50x16 on my 98 Tj 4.0L but don't really want to change gearing just yet and wondering how bad it will be as far as driving

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Ahhhhh what gears do you have now?

·
Registered
143 Posts
My BIL did same thing and promptly fried his clutch trying to wheel up a steep hill. IMO those tires are too tall for stock gearing

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm not sure what's in there now
Look at your differential cover bolts... There should be a small plate between two bolts and the gearing will be on that plate..... you may need a piece of sandpaper or wire whell to get some gunk off the plate to read it....

·
Motorized toy collector
3,761 Posts
What rear axle do you have?
If you are putting 35" tires on a D35, I would wait until it breaks.:)

·
Registered
688 Posts
its doable for a while if you have 3.73 gears... I am still running 3.73s until i get my 4.88s installed. Highways arent much fun , but as far as around town it isnt too bad. gotta lug the engine though on hills

·
Registered
20 Posts
After finally gearing to 4.88 from the stock 3.73 (LJ), I've come to the conclusion that regearing ought to be a sold as a package with any tire larger than stock. I absolutely despised driving my LJ with 33's\3.73. Can't really imagine trying out 35's. This is with a 42rle. Mostly kidding about the regearing\tire package.... but only mostly. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Gotta go with the rest of the gang, here. I drove with 35's and 3.73's for about a week before getting a slot at the gear shop. The only things that made it doable were keeping it in town and off the freeway, and having the 6-speed manual tranny so I could always find a gear/RPM that worked. Don't put off the re-gear, you're not saving yourself time, trouble or money.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've been driving with the stock 3.73's and 35's for the last six months, it's not ideal, nowhere near but I'd still rather drive my jeep than anything else. I've learned to keep it in fourth on the hwy sometimes dropping to third for hills.... Idk it's not all that bad IMO as long as it's temporary.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have an 2001 with 35's and 3.73's and it sucks on road and off road but I just set up an appointment to get my 4.88's and lockers installed to day. CANT WAIT.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 98 5spd with 33"s and stock gearing. It is not ideal but it is more than driveable. 5th gear is basically worthless, though. Getting 4.56 and lockers installed at the shop as we speak.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Look at your differential cover bolts... There should be a small plate between two bolts and the gearing will be on that plate..... you may need a piece of sandpaper or wire whell to get some gunk off the plate to read it....
no small plate anywhere. How else can I figure out what gears are in it now

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can get your build sheet from jeep... it will tell you what gearing is in there....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts