Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan is to lift my JKUS and put on 35's. I'm guessing the 3" or 3.5" is enough...I don't want to trim fenders at all, but I don't want rubbing.

Thinking either the AEV 3.5" lift or the Terraflex 3". Would either work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
2.5" is about right. No rub or anyth. If you go higher than that, it might require additional costs in replacing other stock parts. There are plenty of threads about this on the forum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Discount Tire (no reason to doubt them) says 2.5 will rub, and I'll need to make fender mods...

·
Registered
754 Posts
you'll be fine with 2.5 or bigger, and do some research on Steering stops to prevent the tires from rubbing your sway bar or LCA at full lock.

·
Registered
341 Posts
4 wheel parts and Teraflex both told me that a 2.5 is enough for any 35.... most 2.5's come with extended bump stops to prevent any rubbing.. also no need for fender change.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
A 2.5 with bumpstop extensions, brake line drops, proper length shocks and sway bar end links will ride great and clear 35's all day long even at full stuff.
If you are planning on running stock wheels you will need wheel spacers to prevent your tires from rubbing.
The pic is a teraflex 2.5 w/shocks and rugged ridge wheel spacers. The tires are 315/70r17's which run between 34-35" tall for most brands. These are 34.5 (which is also the height that most 35's run)

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you're going to flex it, I would go 3.5". Metal Cloak, Synergy, Rock Krawler, or Teraflex. With 2.5", you're going to have to bump stop the hell out of it to keep the tires out of the fenders.

·
Registered
729 Posts
A 2.5 with bumpstop extensions, brake line drops, proper length shocks and sway bar end links will ride great and clear 35's all day long even at full stuff.
If you are planning on running stock wheels you will need wheel spacers to prevent your tires from rubbing.
The pic is a teraflex 2.5 w/shocks and rugged ridge wheel spacers. The tires are 315/70r17's which run between 34-35" tall for most brands. These are 34.5 (which is also the height that most 35's run)
I am not sure I know what your idea of full flex is????
My best friend and wheeling buddy has a JKRU with 3.5 RE SA lift on 35's and has almost ripped his fenders off 3 or 4 times at flex.

If you are just mall crawling than a 2.5 should be fine, but anything else you will need at least 3.5 or change/trim fenders like my buddy is going to do. The SA lift you can do in the drive way all bolt on.......they even have bolt on LA lifts now for the JK....no more welding!!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Plan is to lift my JKUS and put on 35's. I'm guessing the 3" or 3.5" is enough...I don't want to trim fenders at all, but I don't want rubbing.

Thinking either the AEV 3.5" lift or the Terraflex 3". Would either work?

Thanks!
Lift will only keep you tires from rubbing your fenders and thats only if you use the proper bumpstop. You will still need spacers or aftermarket wheels that will give you around 4.5" BS.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 2.5 spacer lift and 35's on my 2007 JKUS and I never rub the fenders. I rubbed the air damn once at full turning but I had a new bumper that I was installing that day. You should be fine at 2.5

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I am not sure I know what your idea of full flex is????
My best friend and wheeling buddy has a JKRU with 3.5 RE SA lift on 35's and has almost ripped his fenders off 3 or 4 times at flex.

If you are just mall crawling than a 2.5 should be fine, but anything else you will need at least 3.5 or change/trim fenders like my buddy is going to do. The SA lift you can do in the drive way all bolt on.......they even have bolt on LA lifts now for the JK....no more welding!!!!
:-(
Hopefully the o.p. has a good enough understanding of suspension basics to understand how many things are wrong with this post.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe, maybe not. My serious offroad rig was an FJ40 and with that I did not have to worry about relocating axles fore and aft. I did cut out the rear fenders once I went spring-over-axle.

The finer points of lifting a Jeep are still murky for me. Apparently I need to gusset my D30 as well. That's really not going to be easy here in Korea (I'm here working). Sure we have welders, but getting the message across... (???)

Anyway, I don't intend to do any hardcore stuff, but don't want to damage my Jeep if the suspension is compressed, either.

I'm aware of the backspace issue. :)

So, for now my plan is 2.5" AEV lift, properly backspaced 15"x8" wheels (Discount Tire recommendations), and 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts. I'll probably beat the pinch weld in at the back (heavy plastic hammer) as someone else did, I like that idea better than cutting it. Oh, and get the front end gussetted. sigh...that was unexpected and BS...

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
That is a really good plan.
I'm all about being over prepared but you don't need to address anything on your axle.

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
The wheels you choose (backspacing) will also dictate if you will rub. Some guys wont rub on 35s with a 2.5, some will. Aggressive wheels like Level 8 Trackers look awesome, but stick out past the fenders a bit, and cause rubbing. All elements have to work together, not just the lift.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. My serious offroad rig was an FJ40 and with that I did not have to worry about relocating axles fore and aft. I did cut out the rear fenders once I went spring-over-axle.

The finer points of lifting a Jeep are still murky for me. Apparently I need to gusset my D30 as well. That's really not going to be easy here in Korea (I'm here working). Sure we have welders, but getting the message across... (???)

Anyway, I don't intend to do any hardcore stuff, but don't want to damage my Jeep if the suspension is compressed, either.

I'm aware of the backspace issue. :)

So, for now my plan is 2.5" AEV lift, properly backspaced 15"x8" wheels (Discount Tire recommendations), and 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts. I'll probably beat the pinch weld in at the back (heavy plastic hammer) as someone else did, I like that idea better than cutting it. Oh, and get the front end gussetted. sigh...that was unexpected and BS...
Sorry, I have to edit my good plan comment with this, with a 15" wheel you run the chance (and a pretty good one at that, of the inside of your rim rubbing the caliper, I would look into a 16 or larger wheel/tire.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry, I have to edit my good plan comment with this, with a 15" wheel you run the chance (and a pretty good one at that, of the inside of your rim rubbing the caliper, I would look into a 16 or larger wheel/tire.
A 15" alloy wheel with 4.5" of backspacing or less will work fine. Discount Tire knows which wheels will work. I got my setup from DT and I love it. 15x8 Level 8 Trackers (3.75" BS) with 35x12.50x15 KM2s. Lift is the 2.5" AEV DualSport with geo correction brackets. I have no rubbing but do intend to trim my pinch seams at some point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts