Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a Toyota mud bogger on NC coast back in the late 80's been out of 4 wheeling working and raising kids, this is my first JK, a 2dr sport,

I am going 35 inch Mastercraft Courser MXT with a Teraflex 2.5 inch BB, I want to keep things soft until I REALLY make up my mind what I want out of this weekends only vehicle.

Question is should I add a body lift too, to keep clearance from stock fenders. Or will I clear the 35's just fine with 2.5 BB?

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
You will clear the fenders just fine with 35s and 2.5, do not need a body lift. Just watch for backspace and rubbing the air dam depending on width of the tire.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The TeraFlex kit comes with bump stops. With those installed and running 35" BFG KM2's My tires only ever so slightly rub the front fenders when fully stuffed and turning tight. Not enough to be of concern.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't like big body lifts, but I think a 1.25 isn't too bad, just enough to clear those spinning meats, I will go with the rough country, it has the bumper brackets so I don't look ridiculous in the back, we will see
if I don't like it, heck it can come out like it went in,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike H, I need to see some more pictures of that ride of yours

·
Contorting Member
242 Posts
My fenders didnt rub at all. What did rub is the stock splash guard on the underside of the front bumper in tight turns.

If you look at the picture below, the guard used to reach almost to the ends of the front bumper. I've cut out all but the center part just below the fog lamps.

·
Super Moderator
9,117 Posts
2.5" TeraFlex BB + 35" tires + Stock Fenders

You won't need a body lift.

2.5" BB + 35" tires was my setup for many years; it didn't rub with stock fenders.

I also took my time to decide on a lift. Last week finally pulled the trigger on a 2" Mopar lift with Fox shocks. It was well worth the wait.

These pix are all with the 2.5" TeraFlex BB + 35" General Grabbers

Aldo

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
A 2.5" lift with 2" extended bumpstops and 35's will rub factory fenders at full flex... maybe if your 35's measure small you'll be ok but mine kept popping the rivets out of the rear flares.
Front was not an issue, just rears

·
Super Moderator
14,586 Posts
The TeraFlex kit comes with bump stops. With those installed and running 35" BFG KM2's My tires only ever so slightly rub the front fenders when fully stuffed and turning tight. Not enough to be of concern.
KM2's are known to be a little small, so that helped you.

I had a 2.5bb and 35's and I rubbed my fenders flares when flexing every time, even started popping some of the clips out. I'm not a fan of body lifts so I'd still say no ha. You can always just trim your flares if needed.
The key there is bump stops, were they included and set properly in your BB?

A 2.5" lift with 2" extended bumpstops and 35's will rub factory fenders at full flex... maybe if your 35's measure small you'll be ok but mine kept popping the rivets out of the rear flares.
Front was not an issue, just rears
Every Jeep is a little different and a 2.5 and 35's is that breakover point, some will rub and some won't. Most that I have seen do rub a little when disconnected at full flex...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you are right Pressurized, some people have rubbed some not, I see Aldo has a Rubicon, so he has a 44 up front and better springs than my sport so I can see the Rubi not rubbing, but I am hearing a lot of rubbing stories, I think that bodylift is going in next weekend

·
Super Moderator
14,586 Posts
I think you are right Pressurized, some people have rubbed some not, I see Aldo has a Rubicon, so he has a 44 up front and better springs than my sport so I can see the Rubi not rubbing, but I am hearing a lot of rubbing stories, I think that bodylift is going in next weekend
I am not a body lift guy, but if it's kept reasonable, I guess it's doable. I don't like the extra separation you get at the bumpers...

I think I would add 1/2" spring spacers front and rear and just turn my 2.5 in to a 3" lift.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rough country 1.25 body lift has the new brackets for the rear bumper, no gap! (I agree it is hideous)

$99 for this kit at rough countrys website

with just over an inch at the front I didn't think the pics looked to bad (I googled up some folks)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
man, that's what I am talking about, clearance looks good, nice!

·
Registered
615 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
My 35's just rubbed the factory fenders at full stuff, I ended up putting a different bumpstop in then swapped out to flat fenders.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Those are 15" cheap steel wheels :)

I have since traded that Jeep for a four door. Sometimes I really miss it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts