Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says i want some input on 35s and 3.07s. I have had 31s tried 33's a couple days ago and really didnt notice alot of power loss like people say and yes i even used 5th gear haha. So give me your input and I know its not ideal but could I get away driving it daily and on the highway keeping up at 55 to 65mph?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
5th gear will be pretty much useless and you will burn alot more fuel trying to turn 35's on 3.07 gears. When you go off road your crawl ratio will be crap you will have to use heavy throttle and work the clutch alot.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I ran 35's with 3.07's for about a year, and 5th gear was pretty much gone unless the road was flat or going down hill. Pretty much stayed in 4th the entire time otherwise it would struggle in 5th. I would not recommend it at all. There were times I would have to down shift to 2nd for a bit going up mountain passes, this really sucked. I would stick with the 31's or 33's till you regear. Once I regeared, I told my self I would never put bigger tires in another vehicle until I regeared.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
sounds like a bad idea, when i bought my first wrangler, it had 33's with factory 3.07, and it destroyed the gears in my rear end with moderate wheeling and daily driving.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
You're looking at worse mileage on road and worse performance off road. It's a no-win situation...unless you're into the whole "mall crawling" thing, which I hope you aren't. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys i have decided to go with 33s and maybe regear if i find it to be that bad

·
Registered
129 Posts
Had 33's and 3.07 gears. Average 15 mpg's, fifth gear unusable unless down hill or flat with tail wind. Put in 4.56 gears, still average 15 mpg or better, and a whole lot more fun to drive

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
15mpgs isnt that bad lol plus its not a race car so I dont expect it to be fast.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am at 1500 rpm's in 5th gear @ 65mph. with 35" mickey Thompson Baja claws. What gears do I have? I have a 2003 jeep wrangler tj sport.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
There is a tag on your diff that tells you what the ratio is.

4cyl or 6cyl? Auto or Manual?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I just switched from 3.07 to 4.56 on my 35's. Had it like that for about a year. Its a world of difference, with the 3.07 my rig couldnt get out of its own way. No power, no throttle response when you are crusing, and top speed was about 60. That plus the loss in mpg all adds up to a mistake. Good thing you asked first (unlike me)

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
My guess would be 3.07's. But you really should look at the tag on your diff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts