Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 TJ with nothing done underneath except a 2.5in RC suspension lift. Tires are the next big addition and I'd like to go with 33 or 35 MT's, and either size will go with a 1.5" body lift. I've read some things about the 35's and people upgrading axles and what not but I've really never gotten a solid answer. So my main question is, what (if anything) needs to be done to the axles if I want to run 35's?

·
Registered
487 Posts
To the axles, either a superior 35 kit, or swap to a Dana 44 or 8.8. Best option is to swap. You *could* run with stock axles, but.. not a good idea - expect to blow up.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Depends on what axles u have fronts not much needs to be done most upgrade steering and brakes, and even axleshafts, as far as the rear if its a d44 then that's fone for 35s if its a d35 33s are the max and u can still break it then, does the rear have a metal or rubber fill plug?

·
Registered
316 Posts
As I always recommend, read this.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked, the front plug is metal and the rear looks to be rubber. And I've read good things about the ford 8.8, the price is good too.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I went with 35s on my tj about 3 weeks ago...since then I have now installed a ford 8.8, chromoly front shafts, 4.88 gears, new he sterig system, sye, cv shaft, upper and lower control arms, rear track bar, 4" front sprigs (to level out the lift the 8.8 gave me) and um...I think that's it so far

Running 35s is expensive

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have an 04 TJ with nothing done underneath except a 2.5in RC suspension lift. Tires are the next big addition and I'd like to go with 33 or 35 MT's, and either size will go with a 1.5" body lift. I've read some things about the 35's and people upgrading axles and what not but I've really never gotten a solid answer. So my main question is, what (if anything) needs to be done to the axles if I want to run 35's?
Are you going to be off roading a lot? A lot of ppl will probably flame me for saying this but I know multiple people personally with Tj's who ran 35's on the stock d35 axels for well over 60k miles and they had no problems. YES you are rolling the dice doing this and the d35 will eventually blow up on ya so if you decide to go the route just make sure you have $3-400 in the bank to upgrade and NO they did not do any heavy off roading, but every jeeper does things differently.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Yeah I offroad and 3-400 in the bank won't cover it lol...with all parts above, install, and tires I'm at about 4500.

I won't flame but I think it's stupid to put 35s on your wrangler just for the look. Stick to 33 if that's the case (for them)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah I offroad and 3-400 in the bank won't cover it lol...with all parts above, install, and tires I'm at about 4500.

I won't flame but I think it's stupid to put 35s on your wrangler just for the look. Stick to 33 if that's the case (for them)
LOL I had a feeling you would be the one to respond to what I said and by your other posts on here you seem like a by the book kinda guy, which there's nothing wrong with. I just wanted the OP to know like I said, every jeeper does things differently. Some offroad a lot, like yourself, and it would be stupid to not upgrade gears, axles, and tie rods, etc.. when others only get a couple of chances a year to get out to the trails so it all depends the person.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Not so much by the book but just kinda "do it right"...always seemed that when I did one thing and tried to save money by not doing the other it would always break or something.

For instance, I was only going to run an 8.8 with gears and front shafts but then when I went to align, everything was shot which caused me to need steering. Then when the 8.8 was installed it jacked the back end up another inch which caused drive line vibes and to sit raked. So, now it's sye and driveshaft time but for that I needed upper rear adjustable control arms as well as an adjustable rear track bar to move the new axle center. Then to bring the front level with the 4" front springs I needed control arms as well as extended brake lines.

So, just kinda amounted to running everything all at once and pretty much by the book...should run great after next week when the sye and stuff goes in

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You can get by for a little bit. My 35s get here in a few days and I'll be running them on my turdy five for a few weeks around town until my Ford 8.8 gets here. You also need to remember that you have to be able to stop and turn these tires as well. Black magic brakes are a great option if you have a manual, otherwise you're going to need a stronger steering knuckle (Vanco). At minimum a stronger tie rod is a must, with the drag link being close behind as well as your steering box. Stronger axle u-joints are also highly recommended (Spicer 5-760x). There are a lot of things you have to do to properly run 35s, these are only a few of them, but definitely some of the more overlooked aspects.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can get by for a little bit. My 35s get here in a few days and I'll be running them on my turdy five for a few weeks around town until my Ford 8.8 gets here. You also need to remember that you have to be able to stop and turn these tires as well. Black magic brakes are a great option if you have a manual, otherwise you're going to need a stronger steering knuckle (Vanco). At minimum a stronger tie rod is a must, with the drag link being close behind as well as your steering box. Stronger axle u-joints are also highly recommended (Spicer 5-760x). There are a lot of things you have to do to properly run 35s, these are only a few of them, but definitely some of the more overlooked aspects.
Ok so what I'm getting is that basically I need to upgrade my brakes (easy cheap, I could do it myself), upgrade the tie rod (I know next to nothing about), upgrade the steering box (I think I could do it myself, not sure of the cost though?), I've already replaced my u-joints with spicers, get it regeared(4.88?), and upgrade the front axle shafts(not cheap, but I think I could do it myself). Will it take all this to safely run 35's on easy/moderate rocks and mud?

A lot of questions I apologize :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ok so what I'm getting is that basically I need to upgrade my brakes (easy cheap, I could do it myself), upgrade the tie rod (I know next to nothing about), upgrade the steering box (I think I could do it myself, not sure of the cost though?), I've already replaced my u-joints with spicers, get it regeared(4.88?), and upgrade the front axle shafts(not cheap, but I think I could do it myself). Will it take all this to safely run 35's on easy/moderate rocks and mud?

Did you read the link I posted? It answers all of this and more. You're definitely on the right track though.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

The best steering box is the PSC box, I think it runs around $750 or so. Changing steering components is pretty easy, you just have to get it aligned afterwards (tape measure and a piece of string work wonders). There are a few charts for gearing, assuming you have the I6 manual 4.88s are perfect. As far as front shafts go it's recommended to run 31+ spline shafts which will also require a carrier change.

It's a very expensive process. I personally will be putting a Ford 8.8 in, tie rod from a 98 ZJ, spicer joints, black magic brakes, and running it like that on my normal runs for a while. I'll probably have my gears done in a month or two seeing as I'm only driving 10 minutes to work right now, followed by shafts/lockers at a later date.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
As far as front shafts go it's recommended to run 31+ spline shafts which will also require a carrier change.
Good reason not to run bigger splines....You could always swap in a stock shaft for a quick trail repair.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry so much about the front. But the rear, with the D35 will be an issue if you step up to 35's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts