Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i am about to order my lift kit its a RE 4 inch suspension. i am really wanting to put 35's under it. now i was thinking about a 2 inch body. but i was wondering if it would be ok to run the 35's on the stock axles and gears until i can aford to put in a new axle and new gears. i won't be doing to much wheeling. nothing hardcore until i get new axles and stuff.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
What axles do you have right now?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
weel i have to d35 in the rear and d30 in the front. with 4.10 gears

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't lock the D35....the 30 will be fine...you will want to regear at some point....when you regear look in to a D44 for the rear....or an 8.8

·
Administrator
12,604 Posts
Yes, 35's will be okay untill you get new axles. The 30 can handle 35's, But I would upgrade your u-joints and check your ball joints with that size tire. The dana 35 for street driving should be okay, on the trail with 35's it will be a time bomb.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys thanks alot. that is just what i was looking for.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
biffstephens said:
Don't lock the D35....the 30 will be fine...you will want to regear at some point....when you regear look in to a D44 for the rear....or an 8.8
ok i have herd a lot about the 8.8 what would be the best set up as far as axles and gears go? And i would like to have a locker. and is it the same bolt pattern as the d35 i have now. and i have only installed gears once. is it something a do it yourselfer could do?

·
Registered
189 Posts
why if all the drag racers snatch the 8.8 out of their mustangs and put in 9inch because they think the 8.8 is krapp why do jeepers think the 8.8 is any better than the D35 I think the D35 is stronger than most people think and it gets a bad name from people wanting to justify thier axle swap.

·
Administrator
12,604 Posts
Angler1979 said:
why if all the drag racers snatch the 8.8 out of their mustangs and put in 9inch because they think the 8.8 is krapp why do jeepers think the 8.8 is any better than the D35 I think the D35 is stronger than most people think and it gets a bad name from people wanting to justify thier axle swap.
Very big difference between drag racing and 4wheeling. If you get an 8.8 out of an explorer it usaully has 31 splines shafts vs the mustang 28 splines shafts and has disc brakes. Thus already a vast improvment over the Pony car. The dana 35 of course has 27 spline shafts. The tubes on the 8.8 are also thicker. Now there is sometimes and issue with the driveshaft hook up but the part numbers are out there to find. Now as far as the dana 35 being crap I have seen to many of them blow,not heard about it from a buddy but seen first hand.

There is the super 35 kit, which does a great job of beefing it up with 30 spline shafts and a locker for those who don't want to swap the axle. However while this kit is good usually for a tire upto 35", if you do bust it parts can be a pain to find.

The dana 44 is of course a bolt in (for YJ's find an XJ with the tow pkg, or even some 86 Cj's come with them and might fit, also some Rodeo's came with them and of course the wagoneer), and has 30 spline shafts, so out of the box can handle 35 or 36" tires. used cost figure 1k 1500 depending on where you live. I would also say that no matter what axle you decide on go with a selectible locker such as an ARB, as it makes like so much nicer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok, first off....i've first hand seen a d44 and 8.8 tow off...same gears, tires, drivelines...d44 busted first. the two are very closely matched, but the ford is stronger. i've also watched the d35 single handedly do in 5 driveshafts on one jeep...in a 6 week span. since we swapped my buddies to an 8.8 with 4.56 gears, his jeep has been like sex. no snapped shafts, joints, yokes....not to mention, the gears make it move almost as quick as my 350YJ. with 35's, the 4.56 combo isn't a bad idea. might run a little higher at speed, but a lot less strain on the driveshaft. oh, plus the 8.8 is almost always equipped with the limited slip.

·
Registered
489 Posts
i broke my d35 a month ago with my new 35's, just taking it nice and slow for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts