Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats goin on everyone.

Im a new jeep owner. Went from slamming cars to the ground and going around fast corners to now jacking them up and going nice and slow over dirt.

Gotta say, I have no buyers remorse.

Now that Ive been playing around running stock, i want to play and push it a little.

I have a 2012 sport 6spd.

Im going to be going to OBX in june so i need to build a beast by then.

Looking to run 35s on it with a 3.5" lift.

She is my DD but i used to driver a premium fuel 350z that got an incredable 14 mpg lol.

I saw a tj that had a 2.5" lift with 33s. And they looked beast.

I guess what im asking is, whats the concensous for JK owners on 33s-35s. If we can run 33s on stock suspension then whats the point of going 33s lol.

Also the stock rims suck, i need something with about a 5" backspacing so i can spit snow at people this winter lol. Thinking the xd addicts. (good price)

So my idea is
-Rough Country 3.5" lift with n 2.0 Shocks
-35" rubber
-17" kmc xd addicts

thoughts comments pics anything really that you think would help

my driving is sand, minnor crawling (like really minor) mostly woodland trails and the occasional mud pitfall that popps up.

Just dont want to drop money on this stuff. like i said im not used to fat tires and lifts lol its all backwards to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you get 33s you will regret it and wish you went 35s. Dont do what I did and buy twice. A majority of folks on here will say a Teraflex 2.5 w. new shocks ( not 3.5 because you will need a new drievshaft) that you install yourself and 35 on 15 inch wheels( i love my black mb 72s) from discount tire direct. it will be more than capable and looks the way a jeep is suppose to look. The lift installed yourself and 5 tires will cost around 2400

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2.5 will clear if i go offroad?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3.21 if I remember correclty

·
Registered
354 Posts
Considering your background with the Nissan, 35's may leave you dreaming of better acceleration for a DD.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Im going to be going to OBX in june so i need to build a beast by then.
I drove around Corolla one summer in a 2WD Toyota pickup with a sewing machine engine and Kojak tires. In no way a beast, unless your definition of beast is "piece of shit."

i need something with about a 5" backspacing so i can spit snow at people this winter lol.

Ever experienced an enraged bearded guy coming at your windshield with a raised tire iron?

my driving is sand, minnor crawling (like really minor) mostly woodland trails and the occasional mud pitfall that popps up.

Just dont want to drop money on this stuff.
You need nothing. Want...that's a different matter. Luckily, you can mod the crap out of a Wrangler for about $4K. Complete with snow-spitting ability and all. Six-inch lift, 40" tires. Talk about a chick magnet. You'll have to put keep-aways on your front and rear bumpers, and hire a bodyguard...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I drove around Corolla one summer in a 2WD Toyota pickup with a sewing machine engine and Kojak tires. In no way a beast, unless your definition of beast is "piece of shit."

Ever experienced an enraged bearded guy coming at your windshield with a raised tire iron?

You need nothing. Want...that's a different matter. Luckily, you can mod the crap out of a Wrangler for about $4K. Complete with snow-spitting ability and all. Six-inch lift, 40" tires. Talk about a chick magnet. You'll have to put keep-aways on your front and rear bumpers, and hire a bodyguard...
Can't anyone ask a "simple" question on here without getting some smart ass remarks? There's always one moron that has to ruin the creditably of the whole site.:banghead:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uh, yea thanks kb... :smh:

Idk if i'll re-gear or not yet, im just exploring my options for the time being. Figured id see what people are thinking is the best buy. For example travis you say 33s and gr8ful says go 35s.

As far as my acceleration lol that dream died the day i picked my jeep up. Its a jeep not a sports car. Ive understood and accepted that fact far before i even concidered doing mods.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Your going to obx in june as well? Im going the first week to carova/4x4 beach and def 35s im debating on 35s myself.

·
Registered
344 Posts
trail_breaker said:
Can't anyone ask a "simple" question on here without getting some smart ass remarks? There's always one moron that has to ruin the creditably of the whole site.:banghead:
Thanks Trail_breaker. I think this all the time. I'm new and naive but I'm learning to question posts all the time now or at least until I see a common reply (e.g. 3.21 and larger tires than 33s: I've read enough on here to learn that it is not a good combination).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea i'll prolly see you down there lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry about that..

35's look awesome and still work for a DD but a regear is needed...save your money up and go 35's or you will always want to...

“Your strength is just an accident owed to the weakness of others.”
― Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

·
Registered
413 Posts
Kbwwolf must be having a bad day I've seen a few posts just today from him with all kinds of negativity. Unfortunately thats the freedom of he internet meaning someone can say whatever they want whether others like it or not.

The new guy seems to have a pretty good idea of what he wants. If he goes with anything more then 33's while running the 3:21's he's gonna feel it but I've read a few posts where members said it wasn't too bad so I guess its subjective.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive done my search bar research odv. but its vauge with the 2012s on whats best sometimes.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I will be running 315/70's which are roughly 35's but I made sure I bought my jeep with 3:73's even they aren't ideal according to the gear chart that is posted around here. But I think its the minimum acceptable. If I hate it I will re-gear...

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
That would be me.

I think you meant creditability.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The biggest difference between the 2012's and the previous years is the new engine. I test drove an 08 6spd which I was interested in buying and then had to atleast test drive a 2012 once I did it was all over I knew I would buy a 2012 6spd. Once the dealer located me a JKU with all the options I wanted I showed up to buy it.

BTW Jackmac did you get my PM?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts