Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now my jeep lj has a 4" lift w/ 33" tires. I'm planning on upgrading to a 5.5" LA lift w/ a 1.25" BL, but I can't decide on whether I should put 35s or 37s on it... Any suggestions??? I'll have the 4" xenon flat fender flares also.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
35s. Lift size doesnt not mean you can handle 37s. Once you git 37s theres multiple things need to take into consideration. Like brakes, axles, and steering.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
There are no axles installed by the factory that can handle 37's long-term. Especially the front Dana 30. And not even the Rubicon's front Dana 44 which is mostly made up of Dana 30 components.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Built Dana 30 can handle 37's.
The dana 30 that came factory from jeep for TJs cannot handle 37s even if built, for long term wheeling. Sure short term a dana 30 can handle even 40s but how long until the components start to wear and tear. Jumping from 35s to 37s adds ALOT of meat to the tire. That much more meat that a small ring and pinion has to turn. If you do any wheeling where 37s are required then you will be busting parts left and right.

A built HPD30 could handle 37s but it is still pushing it. The weakpoints are going to be U joints and Balljoints. Everyone has heard of their friend's brother's dad who had 37s on his D30 and it was fine, but if you want to wheel without the constant thought of breaking something, then 37s are not something you want to run on a D30.

Heck, I want to run 37s and I have a built HP D30, but instead I have decided to run JKD44 front and rear in order to run the 37s properly. I can just buy the 37s and throw them on my rig right now, but I don't want to wheel with the constant fear that my puny D30 will break under the pressure of the 37s.

Look at the size of the ring and pinion of the D30 and D44, big difference in size.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
X2, well said. I have a front D44 with CTM ujoints, 30 spline Superior Axle Evolution inner/outer axle shafts, Warn's big manual hub kit, etc. and I still won't run 37's.

·
Registered
733 Posts
35s. Lift size doesnt not mean you can handle 37s. Once you git 37s theres multiple things need to take into consideration. Like brakes, axles, and steering.
To be honest, that goes the same with 35s.

Minimum of D44, upgraded brakes and steering.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I would keep the 4 inch lift you have now and just add the 1.25 body lift with the flares you have now. That away you still sit low and not having to swap front and rear axles. 35's and bigger sized tires require a lot more modifications to drivetrain.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
35s would be my pick as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for responses! It's helped a lot cause I was set on 37s before this for a more proportional look. Gotta also remember though that tj unlimited's come stock with a rear dana 44 axle. And I'm changing gears and all that too for better performance with the new tires

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Thanks for responses! It's helped a lot cause I was set on 37s before this for a more proportional look. Gotta also remember though that tj unlimited's come stock with a rear dana 44 axle. And I'm changing gears and all that too for better performance with the new tires
The problem isnt the rear axle, the problem is the front one. Your front axle is a Dana 30 and it won't be a good idea putting 37s on it because of my above post.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would also think very long and hard abt that long arm kit... I'm sitting on one right now and I loved it for over a year until I decided to try some harder lines this last month in Moab. Now that I found where my balls are located I went and hung up on my long arms twice on two different obstacles. Pretty frustrating to pay big bucks for a mod thinking it's great and then find it's holding you back. Depending on your type of wheeling, short arms may be for you.

I believe jerry has visual aids to help explain my point. :)

Oh and I love my 35s. I'm able to get in plenty of trouble and (mostly) hang with the big boys. I won't move up to 37s till I'm done with college and given my wife her dream home and kiddie hauler.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I get what you're saying tkfx and leemastergt mostly I'm just gonna be doing some mud bogging and average trails in the woods where I live

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm gonna go with the 35s, it'd be better mpg wise, tire price wise, and i wont have to spend as much to change everything else to support 37s. I've been researching and studying up on 5.5" LA lifts and i've narrowed it down the the 2, in my opinion, that are the best, and in my price range. The Rubicon Express and the Rock Krawler, yall know anyhting about those two?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'm gonna go with the 35s, it'd be better mpg wise, tire price wise, and i wont have to spend as much to change everything else to support 37s. I've been researching and studying up on 5.5" LA lifts and i've narrowed it down the the 2, in my opinion, that are the best, and in my price range. The Rubicon Express and the Rock Krawler, yall know anyhting about those two?
Both are good reputable companies. Check out clayton kits... their kits have good geometry out the box and their arms come with a lifetime warrenty if they ever bend.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've got the Clayton Long Arm kit on my rig. Super beefy and you can use any aftermarket transfer case skid that you want ( Just cut to fit), which is why I went with it over any other company. Rock Crawler was my number 2 choice when I was researching... But this was 18 months ago at least so things may have changed for them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts